Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental
organization supporting relief and development work in over 100
countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of
need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) came to Nigeria in 1960 to provide
humanitarian assistance to vulnerable populations in collaboration with
the Catholic Church. CRS was forced to leave the country in 1970 during
the Biafran war. However, in the late 1990s CRS Cameroon began
outreach projects through the Catholic Church and in 1999 CRS opened a
country office. Since then, CRS has been a continuous leader in
development and humanitarian response within Nigeria – focusing on the
three Strategic Program Areas of Agriculture, Health and Emergency
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Advisor I – Agriculture, Nigeria
Requisition Number: I3127
Position Type: To Be Assigned
Hours Per Week: 40
Full Time or Part Time: Full
Regular, Short Term OR Temporary: Regular
- CRS Nigeria is seeking an experienced agriculturalist to act in
the strategic, senior management role of Technical Advisor-Agriculture
(TA-Agric). Reporting to the Deputy Country Representative/Programs
(DCRP), the Technical Advisor- Agric will lead all aspects of current
and future agricultural and livelihoods programming.
- Leading the design and ensuring program quality of integrated
programs that address systemic constraints to sustained and market-based
livelihood improvements in agricultural value chains, the Technical
Advisor- Agric will be a key member of the senior management team tasked
with maintaining and further positioning CRS in Nigeria at the
forefront of agricultural development efforts.
Technical Guidance and Assistance:
- Provide technical assistance to CRS in Nigeria agric programs to ensure program quality.
- Assist CRS in Nigeria agric programs in developing solutions to identified challenges.
- Ensure agric project objectives and results are fully
accomplished; meeting and/or surpassing expected technical quality
- Lead project development and strategic support in a wide variety
of areas, including value chain development and upgrading strategies,
improving access to agricultural inputs, agricultural extension,
marketing, climate-smart agriculture, and rural and peri-urban garden
- Facilitate market driven linkages between agribusiness
producers, wholesalers, processors, and markets within Nigeria, the
region, and internationally.
- Conduct regular field visits to program sites providing hands-on
technical assistance and monitoring of program activities and
- Ensure high quality quarterly, annual, and final agric project reports are submitted in timely manner.
- Design agricultural and livelihoods projects from a gender transformative perspective.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning:
- Develop rigorous, results based and impact focused programmatic monitoring systems to be used in the design of future programs.
- Identify training needs and oversee quality of training in the agric sector for targeted staff and partners.
- Collaborate with the CRS Agricultural Team and larger
agricultural research and development community to promote learning and
identification of relevant innovations, including assisting with the
testing of new agric tools and approaches.
- Identify and implement information technology (ICT4D) solutions to improve MEAL initiatives within the agric program.
- In collaboration with CRS Senior Agricultural Team and MEAL Unit
staff, document program results for multiple objectives, including
program quality improvement, dissemination within CRS, and to peer
Strategic Growth & Business Development:
- Lead in the development and implementation of an agric growth
strategy in line with country program and agency strategic initiatives.
This may include conducting innovative research and market analysis for
targeted value chains.
- Develop relationships with key institutional donors, private
sector and university partners with the view to understand the
priorities and the mutually beneficial opportunities of each
- Facilitate and attend workshops in core areas related to the
agric sector. This includes attending international conferences,
preferably as a presenter of CRS in Nigeria’s work.
- Lead in the identification, prepositioning and development of new agricultural business development opportunities
Human Resource Management:
- Lead and provide technical support to staff with a view of developing their programmatic and management capacity.
- Mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Regional RTA for Agricultural Livelihoods, other
Agency Agric Technical Advisors, Business Development Specialists at
Country Program, Regional and HQ-level, DCRP, CR, DHoP Health, CoPs,
Project Staff, Head of Operations and Finance Manager
- External: Nigeria Ministry of Agriculture, Institutional Donors,
CGIAR Centers, Universities, Private Sector, Church and Secular
Required Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- At least ten (10) years of professional work experience in agriculture, agribusiness development or related discipline
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of teams to meet program needs and deliverables
- Proven experience in building and maintaining institutional linkages.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Demonstrated proposal writing skills, particularly of USG or other public donor funded programs required.
- Knowledge of key USG regulations including, but not limited to
USAID 22 CF Part 226 Administration of Assistance Awards to U.S.
Non-Governmental Organizations, 22 CFR Part 145 Grants and Agreements
with Non-Profits, OMB Circulars A-122, Cost principles for non-profit
organizations and A-133 Audit of states, local governments, and
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS
and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and
achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
CRS Competencies for Program Managers:
- Sets clear goals and manages towards them
- Manages financial resources with integrity
- Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
- Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply