RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes,
dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into
practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical
expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the
areas of health
and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys
and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic
and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and
chemistry services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958
as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research
RTI International is implementing a USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy,
Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed
at improving governance and service delivery at the local government
level. This project ends in September 2017. The position is open to
residents of Nigeria only.
RTI International is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Specialist (CSO)
- With supervision and guidance of the Senior Program Specialist
(SPS) the Program Specialist ensures that the voice and experience,
knowledge and expertise of civil society contribute effectively to
intergovernmental processes while strengthening the capacity of local
governments, promoting council effectiveness which allows citizen access
to information and local decision making.
- In addition, he/she will also work on specific service
improvements in education, health and other selected services such as
water and sanitation in Sokoto with support to Kano.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance to organizations with a particular
focus on organizational development, skills building, and implementation
of strategic plans.
- Support strategic advocacy efforts and partnerships between
civil society organizations as well as facilitate partnerships between
civil society and local governments.
- Review grantee reports, assess progress towards meeting grant
objectives, and with guidance from the SPS and Grants Manager, suggest
adjustments to implementation plans as needed to achieve results.
- Contribute to designing and organizing events and workshops.
- Submit progress and activity reports to SPS.
- Submit monthly, quarterly, and adhoc reports as requested or needed for client reporting.
- Support civil society and media to influence education, health,
water and environmental sanitation sector budgets, policies, and to
improve accountability and access to basic services, by building
capacity for strategic advocacy and identifying and supporting advocacy
efforts of sector reform champions.
- Conduct assessments of the institutional capacities of local
organizations, design capacity-building programs, and develop strategies
for planning and activity implementation.
- Identify and seize opportunities to promote civil society networking and partnerships in collaboration with the SPS.
- With guidance from the SPS and Grants Manager, provide assistance to LEAD partners throughout the grant cycle.
- Work with Technical Specialists, LGA Coordinators and community
organizations to implement activities, collect and assemble data, and
support training at local levels.
- Support partner organizations in the development of training
interventions by ensuring quality control and providing training of
- Any other task as may be assigned by supervisor.
- B.Sc and 6 years’ or MSc and 3 years’ experience in civil society, project management or related field.
- Experience working with Civil Society Organization desired.
- Excellent communication, writing, presentation and inter-personal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Experience with Education and Health sector initiatives desired.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience with USAID or other major donors.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and
CV’s in reverse chronological order with position applied for as subject
(including email and phone contact) to: email@example.com
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 3rd October, 2016.