Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of
the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our
Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations.
welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and
secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving
those in need.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on
vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and
governance, and peace building programming. CRS is expanding its
activities in the North-East in the area of Food Security, Nutrition,
Non-food items, Water and Sanitation.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Program Manager II – WASH and Shelter
Requisition Number: I3197
Area of Interest: Other
Position Type: Full Time
Hours Per Week: 40
Full Time or Part Time: full
Regular, Short Term OR Temporary: Regular
- The WASH and Shelter Program Manager will manage the WASH and
Shelter integrated program in which water, sanitation, hygiene promotion
and shelter activities are strongly linked.
- The WASH and Shelter PM will line manage a Water, Sanitation & Shelter Team Leader and a Hygiene Promotion Team Leader.
- The WASH and Shelter PM will ensure that the established
Emergency WASH and Shelter Strategy is followed and will adapt it when
necessary according to changing context requirements in consultation
with Nigeria Country Program and Global WASH and Shelter Advisors from
CRS Humanitarian Response Department.
Key Job Responsibilities
Program Quality and Management:
- In coordination with the Operation Manager and as per CRS
standard procedures identify and assess contractors, construction
suppliers, vendors of WASH and Shelter NFI’s, prepare contracts and
documentation for works.
- Together with the Water, Sanitation and Shelter Engineering Team
Leader ensure that designs, BOQ’s and feasibility over Sanitation and
Shelter structures are sound from a qualitative and quantitative point
of view (follows SPHERE standards) and ensure that structures are
culturally appropriated and accepted.
- Together with the Water, Sanitation and Shelter Engineering Team
Leader ensure that before any construction activity is approached that
land owners have approved constructions.
- Together with the Hygiene Promotion Team Leader ensure that
hygiene promotion activities are followed and adapted to the local
context, specifically in the area of latrine maintenance committees and
- Together with the Hygiene Promotion Team Leader ensure that a
market based approach is used to target CRS beneficiaries with hygiene
items and other NFI’s related to HH use such as kitchen utensils.
- Ensures that use of appropriate project management tools to
plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on
the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure the development and implement strong M&E systems
using appropriate CRS tools and resources to maximize project impact on
- Monitor project development and identify deviation from approved
project plans and implement corrective measures when necessary to
ensure that the partners meet the project objectives.
- Oversee management and maintenance of up to date documentation
related to all projects approvals, monitoring and implementation in both
hard and soft copies.
- Together with Team Leaders lead on planning of all WASH and
Shelter project activities setting high quality performance targets and
ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor
guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Ensure with TL’s the selection of project beneficiaries based on
approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted
and their views taken into account at all stages of the program.
- In collaboration with the Emergency Coordinator and Operations Manager, prepare contracts and documentation for works.
- Ensure together with TL’s execution of those contracts and that
market based approaches are implemented whenever possible for water
supply and WASH/Shelter NFI’s.
- Liaise with CRS Procurement and Logistics to ensure that
material procurement is delivered according to program needs, ensure
that market assessments of vendors and contractors is done following
- Ensure that TL’s oversee contractors and direct implementations
and those continuous assessments are being planned of older sites as
well in new sites.
- Ensure that a tight coordination with Nutrition staff.
- Ensure that the project engages both hosts as well as IDP’s.
- Contribute to preparing plans, proposals, and budgets for project extensions and new projects.
- Ensure protection issues are fully considered throughout the
project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being
included in decision making for all WASH and Shelter issues.
Partnership and Capacity Building:
- Establish and maintain excellent collaborative working relationships with local partners.
- Identify both Program Quality and Management Quality capacity
building needs and organize relevant support with TL’s, Emergency
Coordinator and relevant CP structures.
- Coordinate any support from the Country Office for ensuring strong communication with and support to partners.
- Manage relationships, negotiations and intensive communication
efforts with partners in all phases of grant/project implementation,
facilitates coordination with partners, including knowledge management,
learning and capacity building for partner staff.
- Promote the involvement of partners at all stages of the project cycle.
- Ensure timely and quality preparation of donor project narrative
reports, quarterly performance indicator tracking tables, baseline and
final evaluation reports, as well as other reports needed/required by
the local government, donors, the region or headquarters as per
- Advise senior management about issues affecting project
implementation, or key local issues affecting future grants/projects
Representation, Coordination, and Communication:
- Represent CRS at WASH Cluster and CCCM/Shelter Cluster as per request of WASH & Shelter PM.
- Preparation of employee job descriptions, performance plans and performance appraisals for project staff.
- Ensure that CRS grant/project staff have the equipment and logistical support needed to carry out their roles/responsibilities.
- Develop and ensure implementation of training plans for the team.
- Supervise and mentor Team Leaders and other project staff working on specific-based activities/sectors.
- Ensure timely and quality adherence to CRS Performance Management System for all staff under his/her supervision.
- Water, Sanitation and Shelter Team Leader & Hygiene Promotion Team Leader.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS
and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and
achieve the desired results:
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
CRS Emergency Competencies:
- Each CRS staff member working in emergencies is expected to have
the following competencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and
to achieve the desired results:
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of MS Windows and MS Office programs.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
- Enthusiasm in working as a member of a team and willingness to learn.
- Ability to embrace the challenge of working under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Hydrogeology or Construction
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with INGOs in the field of
WASH and with implementation of water supply, sanitation, construction
or infrastructure projects.
- Strong skills in assessing and developing partner capacity including institutional strengthening, mentoring and coaching.
- Experience in project management, planning, supervision, quality assurance and reporting.
- Experience in Shelter is an added value
- Strong experience managing Hygiene Promotion Teams
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert
advice to staff and partners in infrastructure and related fields.
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- English Fluency, Writing and Speaking
- Travel Required. Over 60% travel around CRS sites.
- Work Environment: Normal office environment, frequent vehicle travel to project sites.
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply