Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating
lasting change in the lives of children in over 20 countries around the
world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and
collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where
we help children and families help themselves.
We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a
variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence
without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s
mission is to Inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats
children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: WASH Adviser
Reports to: Chief of Party;
Staff directly reporting to this post: WASH Coordinator and Officer
Role of Purpose
The position of WASH Adviser under the SDI project will help
ensure the implementation of activities as it relates to Water,
Sanitation and Hygiene in the context the 7 point plan and overall
achievement of output 1.1 and 1.2 of this project require to address
diarrhoea prevention and management.
In the regard, the availability of adequate and safe drinking water is
crucial to the reduction of water borne diseases, such as diarrhoea.
During the assessment of Shomolu, the target LGA, it was observed that
the vast majority of the communities have no or poor access to safe
drinking water. Activities planned to achieve output 1.2 are primarily
focused on contributing to the elimination of open defecation in
Shomolu LGA. By the end of this programme, the WASH Adviser will be
responsible for all effort design under the SDI programme to
substantially reduce open defecation across the target LGA.
Specifically, the Adviser will facilitates the introduction of CLTS
approach in target communities with the aim of completely eliminating
open defecation in Shomolu LGA. In addition, the preferred staff will
strengthen the capacity of specific community structures, government
institutions in coordination with other peer organizations to ensure
the sustenance of the SDI intervention
Key Areas Accountability
- Facilitate effective and timely implementation of all
interventions outlined under output 1.1, 1.2 and any other related and
cross cutting programme activities related to WASH on the SDI project.
- Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings
meets the standard required to facilitate provide knowledge and
reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates to open
defecation free (ODF) regime.
- Be able to systemically review DIP/budget and other key
implementation tools with the hope of initiating innovative approaches
that will open new frontiers for learning on the 7 point plan.
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project
specific operational researches, including baseline and end line
evaluation related WASH on the SDI signature project
- Work closely with State/LGA authorities to ensure all WASH
interventions deployed in the communities, facilities and schools
alignment with the 7 point plan aimed at the prevention and management
Planning, Documentation and Budgeting:
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to WASH.
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for WASH activities programme in Lagos State
- Collaborate with relevant ministries and other relevant
partners at the state, local government and community levels to ensure
integration and high level implementation of all WASH activities on the
- Participate in developing different levels of progress report and supporting PQA on WASH interventions.
Representation and relationships:
- Actively participate in State/LGA level technical working groups on WASH relevant to policy forums.
- Actively contribute to national policies/strategies on WASH.
- Support advocacy colleagues with technical messaging on WASH, external reports and publications.
- Work closely with other thematic teams in Nigeria Country office
and the Lagos State offices in support of SDI signature project.
- Ensure the maintenance of healthy partnerships with relevant
government counterparts and other partners at Federal, State, Local
government level in the community in the management of WASH related
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager
Skills and Behaviours (Our values in practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources
efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their
responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way
they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve
performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their
team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and
encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills and Experience
- A highly experienced and broad based development worker with
postgraduate qualification in public health and specialisation in
environment or health education. Other related post graduate
qualifications related to water and sanitations with at least 7 years
progressive experience in WASH programming will be giving priority
- Essential: Demonstrable management experience and very good
understanding of child survival issues, school and common childhood
illnesses in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of school community safer water and hygiene practice in Nigeria will be added advantage.
- Desirable: Experience in community based interventions in Nigeria
- Desirable: Master trainer and good facilitator.
- Desirable: analytical & research skills, experience in
conducting health systems research, ability to analyse data using SPSS/
EPInfo/ STATA etc
- Essential: basic training in WASH programming
- Essential: at least 5 years programming experience with I/NGO in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, programmes and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Work experience in health/public health and or in a health/public health organisation, including as a trainer.
- Experience with providing institutional support and technical
assistance to development partners, government/community institutions.
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply