Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit,
non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our
teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization
and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses,
by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency
relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity
and regain self-sufficiency.
The association leads in average 190 projects by year in the following
sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction
and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and
economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 5 million
people in 20 countries – in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe
Première Urgence Internationale is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Health Manager (PHCC)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration of Mission: 12 Months
- The Technical Manager for Health supervises the implementation
of medical activities in the Primary Health Care Center (PHCC) supported
Task and Responsibilities
- Programs: He/She ensures proper implementation and monitoring of
medical program falling under his/her responsibility, while observing
PUI’s health policy.
- Human Resources: He/She supervises the Medical Team of the PHCC
supported by PUI (PUI salaried employees and, as the case may be, daily
- Logistics and Administration: He/She ensures compliance of
activities falling under his/her responsibility with logistical and
- Representation: He/She represents the association before
partners, authorities and local actors involved in the implementation of
- Safety: He/She contributes to efforts aimed at ensuring
compliance with safety rules at the site, and transmits all information
relating to safety concerns to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Strategy: He/She contributes to the development of new interventions on the basis of identified needs.
Specific Objectives and Linked Activities
Ensure Implementation and Monitoring of Medical Program/s:
- He/She ensures that beneficiaries and local populations
understand the project objectives and participate actively in their
- He/She plans activities and ensures that activity timelines are
met. In the event of serious delays in project implementation, he/she
immediately informs his/her supervisor and proposes solutions to remedy
- He/She works in close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator
(or the Medical Department) on the medical strategy for projects, the
quality of activities, the technical choices to be made, and reporting
- He/She transmits the internal and external reports to his/her
immediate supervisor and to the Medical Coordinator while making sure to
meet the internal deadlines for endorsement (Situation Report) and the
external contractual deadlines (project reports). He/she contributes to
the monthly report of the mission and to the quarterly report of medical
activities to be transmitted to the Medical Department.
- He/She must guarantee the appropriateness of programs and their
respect for the health policy and framework of operations of PUI. He/she
submits any requests for advancement into new medical activities to the
Medical Coordinator or to the Medical Department at Headquarters.
- He/She ensures the implementation of monitoring and/ or
evaluations, according to the defined needs of the project/s. He/She
undertakes analyses and transmits the data collected to his/her
immediate supervisor, and to the Medical Coordinator. Depending on the
needs of the projects and/or the data collected, he/she produces and
disseminates reports of the monitoring and evaluation exercises to the
- He/She ensures proper archiving of all the documents, tools and
training materials produced in the context of project/s and ensures the
availability of the verification sources mentioned in the proposals.
- He/She ensures the proper functioning of medical programs
falling under his/her responsibility, and ensures compliance with goals
defined in the project proposal/s. Notably, he/she tracks the
performance indicators defined, reports on progress to his/her immediate
supervisor, signals any difficulties encountered in project
implementation, and proposes improvements or reorganization on an as
- He/She ensures that proper medical protocols are implemented
according to international and national recommendations and guidelines.
- He/She ensures follow-up and analysis of epidemiological data, in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator.
- He/She undertakes needs assessments of programs in relation to medical equipment, medications and medical consumables.
Supervise the Medical Team:
- He/She familiarizes himself/herself with the Internal Rules of
Procedure of PUI for the mission, and ensures that they are known and
respected by the team.
- He/She creates coordination mechanisms specific to the team, and ensures proper supervision.
- He/She identifies the training needs of the team and addresses
them (organizational and medical support, methodology, organization of
- He/She constructs the organizational chart of the team, and has it endorsed by the Base Manager.
- He/She prepares job profiles for members of the team, has them
endorsed by the Field Coordinator, and participates actively in the
hiring process (interviewing, testing, etc), as well as in any decisions
related to the termination of employment contracts of team members.
- He/She ensures that each person is subject to a written
evaluation at least once per contract period and per year, and at a
minimum before leaving office.
Ensure Logistical and Administrative Support for Medical Programs:
- He/She addresses his/her needs for medications, medical
consumables and equipment to the Field Coordinator, and in line with
available budgets. He/she takes into account the time and logistical
constraints of the mission, as well as the purchasing rules specific to
the programs, in order to ensure that his/her requests are realistic in
light of procurement timelines.
- He/She contributes to the analysis of
supplier of bids for purchases with highly technical specifications.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator, he/she organizes the
logistical components of his/her programs (delivery, distribution,
on-site storage, etc).
- On a monthly basis he/she provides the Field Coordinator with
all information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates
specific to his/her program(s).
- He/She ensures that the monthly budget tracking of the
program(s) falling under his/her responsibility is up-to-date,
participates in analyses, detects possible anomalies, and proposes
adjustments to the Field Coordinator.
- He/She participates actively in the preparation of calls for
tender, as the case may be, in collaboration with the Logistics
Coordinator and the procurement officer at Headquarters.
- In coordination with the Medical Coordinator, he/she ensures,
appropriate storage of medications, medical consumables or equipment
specific to his/her program(s).
- He/She communicates to the Field Coordinator on a weekly basis
his/her needs related to vehicles and communication equipment for the
implementation of program(s).
Ensure the Representation of PUI Before Healthcare Providers:
- He/She represents the association before local actors involved
in the implementation of medical programs, and ensures that good
relations are maintained with each of them, (consistent with the
principles of neutrality and independence of PUI).
- In agreement with the Field Coordinator and Medical Coordinator,
he/she attends coordination meetings on relevant medical matters when
they take place, and participates actively.
- In the event of visits from Donors, he/she participates actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit.
Ensure the Safety of Property and People:
- He/She ensures that the safety plan is known by the team falling
under his/her responsibility, and that safety rules are respected.
- He/She ensures that members of his/her team and daily paid
workers as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to
their activities (for example: PEP kits[post-exposure treatment kits],
- He/She contributes to data collection on safety issues in
his/her field of operations and disseminates them to the Head of Base
regularly or on an ad-hoc basis if urgent.
- He/She must ensure that project/s, methodologies, or selection
criteria do not place beneficiaries, PUI staff or any other persons in
harm’s way. He/she alerts the Field Coordinator without delay, in case
of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries.
Contribute to the Development of New Proposals:
- He/She participates in identifying health-related needs in
coordination with the Field Coordinator and the Medical Coordinator or
the Medical Department at Headquarters.
- In the context of identifying new operations, and together with
the Field Coordinator, he/she contributes to the preparation of project
proposals for the Health sector.
- He/She participates in the strategy development of the mission.
- Number of people to manage and their position (expatriate/local staff)
- Direct management: Health staff at the PHCC (local staff)
- Indirect management:
- Internal: functional link with the Medical Coordinator, work in
collaboration with Mobile Clinics Unit Program Manager and with the
Reproductive Health Officer, and the Nutrition Officer
- External: other health stakeholders
- Registered Nurse
- Residency in Medicine
- Medical Degree
- Bac + 5 Pharmacy
- Public Health
- Project Management
Knowledge and Skills
- Good writing skills
- Knowledge of Project Management
- Knowledge of procedures: institutional donors (OFDA, ECHO, AAP, UN agencies…)
- Other (specify)
- Pack Office
- Other (specify
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment):
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Good brainstorming and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally and with maturity
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Sense of diplomacy and openness of spirit
- Analytical skills
- Organization and manage priorities
Month Gross Income: from 1,815 up to 2,145 Euros depending on the
experience in International Solidarity + 50 Euros per semester seniority
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications
(Resume and Cover Letter) to “Romain Gautier, Human Resources Officer”
for Expatriates at: email@example.com with the following subject: “HealthPMPHCC-NGA”.
Application Deadline 30th November, 2016.