The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading
crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and
supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and
natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods,
youth development, and protection and promotion of
rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in
October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications and Advocacy Manager
Sector: Advocacy & Government Relations
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager is directly supervised
by the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) but will work in close
collaboration with the Country Director (CD) in regards to external
communications and advocacy pieces.
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager will also work in close
collaboration with various IRC program coordinators and managers to
maintain strong understanding of the IRC’s priorities and programs as
well as on-going needs in the NE.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri with occasional travel to Yola, Mubi, and Abuja.
- In addition to the communications and advocacy support of this
role, the IRC Nigeria has a five year strategy plan which is developed
based upon the broader IRC2020 five year strategic plan.
- While this position will be predominately focused on
communications and advocacy, the Manager will also support the on-going
implementation, monitoring, reporting, and contribute to the overall
management and oversight of the IRC Nigeria’s adherence to its SAP and
it’s five year implementation plan.
- Design and implement a country program communication strategy
- Work with the program teams, and local partner organizations, to
develop visibility and communications plans for various projects
- Take an active role and where possible lead in organizing media
outreach and public events including international celebrations as and
whenever organized by field teams.
- Create and maintain internal system, including contact lists,
diaries of upcoming events and opportunities in which the IRC can
actively participate and engage locally, national and
- To build and maintain excellent relationships with Nigerian
media outlets and maintain a database of Nigerian media contacts
including international media staff based in Nigeria
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and to draw
lessons to improve coverage, and provide regular analysis on Lebanese
media coverage issues relevant to the IRC’s program work.
- Work with program sector leads to develop and produce IRC
information and communication materials such as brochures, newsletters,
press releases, contribution to global IRC website and updates, and
other publications as well as supporting journalist and other high
- To produce digital content (stories, photos, blogs, videos) to
be used on the IRC and other websites and to liaise with relevant staff
at regional and HQ level to maximize the use of the contents generated.
- Assist in training program staff on communication strategies and
facilitate development of success stories, lessons learned, personal
experiences (blogs), etc from field-based program staff
- Provide briefing papers and situational reports as well as
support NY and UK communications departments in development of external
communication tools for stakeholders both in and out of country on the
IRC’s work in Nigeria.
- In collaboration with program coordinators and DDP, draft
communications and advocacy material for different thematic sector
priorities, including newsletters, reports, and talking points for
- Design and implement a country program advocacy strategy
- To regularly visit the IRC programs and partner organizations to
ensure a direct link between program work and advocacy work, and to
identify and generate high quality advocacy pieces with the support of
IRC advocacy team.
- To build relationships with advocacy colleagues in other
organizations (eg NGOs, UN agencies), to coordinate and collaborate on
- Design and lead advocacy trainings for IRC staff and partners
- Engage with program staff to identify high priority needs of population requiring advocacy focus and intervention
Strategy Action Plan (SAP):
- Lead the review process of all SAP milestones in the implementation plan and coordinate with relevant staff for execution
- Will be the focal point person for all initiatives being devised for piloting in Nigeria as part of the SAP
- Lead the process for periodic SAP review and document lessons learnt and best practices
- Ensure ongoing SAP socialization processes and initiatives are instituted for all IRC Nigeria staff
- As needed, provide support to Grants Managers in regards to
proposal development, donor reporting, and other grants requirements.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (Journalism, Policy, etc)
- Ability to write clear and concise reports, statements, etc and to meet short deadlines
- Experience training and capacity building other staff in principles of advocacy and media
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Competence with Windows, Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in unstable security environments
- Previous experience working with international partners, in particular UN, INGOs, as well as local partners
- Fluent written and spoken English required
- Excellent oral and written skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communications and advocacy materials
- Previous experience working in communications and/or advocacy field
Specific Security Situation/Housing
- The Communications and Advocacy Manager will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in
the NE with the security level at 3 (orange). The candidate should be
prepared to work in insecure environments.
- This is a non-accompanied position. The Communications and Advocacy Manager will live in shared housing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply