The Sparrows Group have long established a renowned reputation as the
leading global provider of oilfield engineering services; specialising
in offshore lifting, crane engineering and services, mechanical
handling, pipe and cable lay-systems, fluid power engineering, equipment
rentals and competence training.
Since forming in 1973, Sparrows have offered clients a crane and lifting
management service which provides a performance-driven structure,
aligning with client expectations in terms of safety, reliability and
The Sparrows Group is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Business Development Manager, Africa
Req Code: 1982
The Main Purpose of this role is The Business Development Manager, will
be required tfollow the 7-step Sparrows Business Acquisition Process and
- Identify Opportunities – Position Sparrows to take advantage of
new geographies and new product lines. Search all markets and identify
- Execute the Proposal – Capitalize on the preparatory work
- Clarify the Offer – Close the deal
- Engage with the Customer Post-award – Celebrate and start over.
- Select Target – Create the optimum project portfolio for Sparrows assets
- Prepare to Win – Focus our attention on selected opportunities
- Develop the Solution – Develop a slam dunk project execution plan
About this Role
Specifically, the scope includes:
- This role is focused on developing business opportunities in Africa Region.
- This includes monitoring of new opportunities as well as
reporting our as-bid data for Market Analysis and tracking the award of
projects either to Sparrows or our competitors and reporting accordingly
- Capturing opportunities in the companies CRM system
- Developing and Maintaining Good Relationships with our Customer Base.
- Includes our existing customer base and an obligation to expand with new customers.
- Ensure Market Data is Maintained ta High Degree of Accuracy.
- Recommending projects for targeting that give the best financial
returns while maximizing utilization of assets and minimizing risk
- Working with BD teams in other business units to prioritise
asset allocation to targeted projects always determining net return to
Sparrows as a first principle
- Focus on back-up projects that provide good returns in event that targeted projects are lost
- Ensure that a capture strategy is developed for all new prospective work.
- Encourage technical and commercial innovation.
- To help win additional work for Sparrows at agreed margins of
profit, with all risks identified and quantified in accordance with
- To assist in the preparation and submittal of proposals without
errors, on schedule, in accordance with the Capture Plan and to develop
the Basis of Bid
- Support nominated Project/Business Manager, regional Business
Development Director and Negotiator team leader with detailed back-up
and analysis as well as relevant correspondence, clarifications and
- Develop New Markets for our Product Lines
- To identify new market areas where Sparrows can establish a leading edge in competitiveness
- Suggest New Product Lines for our Existing Assets
- To seek out opportunities in non-traditional business where our assets can effectively and profitably be utilised
Support the Organization
The Business Development Manager will support the Sparrows organization by:
- Help to develop strategic planning initiatives
- Identifying new opportunities
- Developing bid /nbid recommendations
- Ensuring Capture Strategy is implemented during the bidding phase
- Actively participating in bid reviews
- Supporting post bid negotiations
- Effectively representing the company regardless of task.
- Adhering to reporting requirements, being able verify / give opinion on targeted prospects
- Provide guidance in the pre-qualification process.
- Participating in the development of capture strategies for targeted projects
- Working collaboratively with the Proposals Manager to develop successful bidding strategies
Support to the Departments
The Business Development Manager will interface with other departments by:
- Supporting Project Champions through the bid process
- Contributing to the project risk / opportunity management process
- Interaction with functional heads to determine capability & competitiveness.
Leading the Organisation
The Business Development Manager will:
- Demonstrate honest and ethical behaviour
- Act in a fair and conscientious manor
- Uphold the Vision, Values, Guiding Principles and Goals of the Company Charter.
- It is mandatory that the incumbent is familiar with, and follows
the Company’s Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Management System
and takes an active part in the compliance and improvement of the
- The incumbent must report any accidents, incidents, near misses,
actual or potential problems with products, services or systems
according to the Management System processes/procedures.
- The incumbent alshas legal responsibilities under
country-specific health, safety and/or environmental legislation to
Qualifications & Experience
- Reasonable knowledge of the Oil & Gas industry
- Strong relationship skills – managing relationships with our agent and client
- Aptitude for developing customer relationships
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Competency to represent the company in written and verbal format
- Ability to manage business relationships at all levels.
- Demonstrable experience in building and growing a business
- Driving sales opportunities through to completion with our agent
- Technical knowledge of the offshore industry
- Experience of operating in the Africa
- Interpersonal skills
- French language skills
- Service company background.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: email@example.com
Note: Candidate will need to have up-to-date Word or
PDF copies of their CV and/or Cover Letter to hand. they may also
include copies of any relevant certificates, if desired.