The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international
development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key
sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access
to sustainable electricity.
Additional cross-cutting activities include
the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the
reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic
processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
EU Delegation to Nigeria requires the services of the below position:
Job Title: International Aid / Cooperation Officer
Job No: 55429
- The Delegation of the EU to Nigeria is considering the
recruitment of a Project Officer – Cooperation. The successful candidate
will be responsible for specific projects/programmes with primary focus
on rural electrification and renewable energy.
Functions and Duties
- The section “Economic Cooperation & Energy” of the European
Union Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS is
seeking to fill the vacancy of a Project Officer.
- The section is responsible for identifying, implementing and
managing projects and programmes of the European Development Funds and
of the thematic lines of the Development Cooperation Instruments.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Section/Team leader, the responsibilities include the following:
- Analyse developments in the sector, contributing to the preparation of sector reports for the Delegation and HQ
- Support policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies,
development partners and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of
concern to the sector
Management of EDF/EU projects:
- Contribution to programming and mid-term review of the Nigeria
National Indicative Programmes. Identification and formulation of
programmes and projects – Internal monitoring of projects’
implementation in co-ordination with Nigerian authorities (NAO),
ensuring that EU regulations and procedures are followed.
- Liaising with EU Headquarters for the dissemination and
implementation in Nigeria of global EU initiatives in support of rural
electrification, renewable energy and other relevant topics
- Contributing to reporting requirements: Annual Management Plan
(AMP); External Assistance Management Report (EAMR); Joint Annual Report
(JAR); project, sector and ad-hoc reports. Contributing to the
visibility of the EU development cooperation activities.
- In the performance of the above-mentioned duties, the Project
Officer will work closely together with other staff in the Section and
within the Delegation, particularly with the Finance and Contracts
section and the “Health, Nutrition & Resilience” section,
responsible for the implementation of programs related to better access
to quality health care, improved resilience, enhanced food security and
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Reporting to the Head of Section/Team Leader and the Head of
Cooperation, the Project Officer is expected to contribute and provide
technical expertise to the EU Delegation in all phases of the project
management cycle, in particular to ensure proper project appraisal and
subsequently monitoring of project implementation, and sector reviews.
- The Project Officer will be assigned specific
projects/programmes with primary focus on alleviation of poverty among
the most vulnerable groups through increasing the access to power
through rural electrification and the use of renewable energy sources,
in particular solar energy.
Communication and Networking:
- The position requires excellent analytical, drafting and
communication skills. Furthermore, the ability to work under pressure in
a team or individually on specific tasks and to adapt to a
multi-cultural environment is required.
- Candidates are also expected to be able to communicate complex
information in a comprehensible manner, be flexible towards new demands
and deliver their outputs in a structured way.
- The Project Officer will contribute to information exchange,
coordination and policy dialogue with national and international
development partners, regional, national and local government actors,
civil society and the private sector.
Education and training:
- A University level education in a relevant field, such as civil
engineering, rural development, development planning or development
studies with at least 7 years of relevant experience. Alternatively, a
Master’s degree with 5 years relevant experience in the fields mentioned
is required. Additional education and/or experience in the area of
rural electrification or project management would be highly
- At least 5 years relevant experience in development cooperation
and related project management activities in Nigeria. Specific knowledge
in the areas of energy policy, rural electrification, renewable energy
and rural development.
- Previous experience in development cooperation activities in
Northern Nigeria would be considered an advantage as well as experience
in working for international organisations in the area.
- Full computer literacy, covering all relevant Office applications
- Familiarity with the 11th EDF and other EU development
cooperation instruments, EU project management cycle and
procurement/financial procedures would be an advantage
- Knowledge of project monitoring methods and techniques
- Capacity to deliver results in a structured way
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information
- Ability to work in a proactive, autonomous and organised way
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- French and Hausa at working level would be considered advantageous
Gross remuneration will be fixed depending on the provided proof of
years of relevant professional experience as foreseen by the EU Local
Agents’ Framework Rules.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application to:
with the subject heading: “International Aid / Cooperation Officer –
Job no 55429” addressed to: the Head of Administration, Delegation of
the European Union to the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Applications should consist of a motivation letter of maximum one page
and Curriculum Vitae of maximum one 2 pages. Reference number has to be
indicated on the top of application. No further documents are required
at this stage.
- Applications received after the deadline or do not conform to
these instructions will be automatically rejected. Only candidates
short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
- The information and conditions related to this position are not
legally binding, and may be subject to change before a contract is
Application Deadline 2nd December, 2016.