What is the job description and role of a Dyer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Dyer?
Dyer Job Description
Dyers change or restore the color of articles, such as garments, drapes, and slipcovers, by means of dyes.
Work requires knowledge of the composition of the textiles being dyed or restored; the chemical properties of bleaches and dyes; and their effects upon such textiles.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of a Dyer
- Applies dye to article, using spray gun, electrically rotated brush, or handbrush.
- Immerses article in bleaching bath to strip colors.
- Immerses article in dye solution and stirs with stick, or dyes article in rotary-drum or paddle dyeing machine.
- Operates or directs operation of extractor and drier.
- Sprays or brushes article with prepared solution to remove stains.
- Matches sample color, applying knowledge of bleaching agent and dye properties, and type, construction, condition, and color of article.
- Measures and mixes amounts of bleaches, dyes, oils, and acids, following formulas.
- Rinses article in water and acetic acid solution to remove excess dye and to fix colors.
- Dissolves dye or bleaching chemicals in water.
- Examines article to identify fabric and original dye by sight, touch, or by testing sample with fire or chemical reagent.
- Tests dye on swatch of fabric, to ensure color match.