What is the job description and role of an Energy Manager? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Energy Manager?
Energy Manager Job Description
An energy manager plans, regulates and monitors energy use in an organisation or facility. They aim to improve energy efficiency by evaluating energy use and implementing new policies and changes where necessary.
Energy managers coordinate all aspects of energy management, from energy efficiency and reduction of carbon dioxide emissions to waste management and sustainable development by:
- deriving solutions for carbon management;
- encouraging the use of renewable/sustainable energy resources within an organisation or community;
- raising the profile of energy conservation.
Duties vary according to the setting in which the work is being carried out and may range from researching new developments and managing a range of strategies, to providing expertise to individuals.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of an Energy Manager
- keeping abreast of legislation and ensuring compliance.
- developing, coordinating, and implementing the aims and objectives of strategies and policies to reduce energy consumption, e.g. directives on energy performance and emissions, and monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of these policies and strategies, including coordinating annual progress reports;
- preparing detailed schedules of work, feasibility studies and cost estimates;
- devising policies and systems for buying energy and helping with contract negotiations;
- providing technical and practical advice and offering training on energy efficiency;
- preparing specifications, drawings and tender documents for building services, improvement or plant replacement work, including obtaining statutory approvals;
- ensuring accurate records are maintained and energy monitoring data is collected regularly;
- carrying out site inspections and energy surveys;
- developing promotional activities and materials to publicise particular schemes;
- contributing to sustainable development initiatives;
- benchmarking energy consumptions against best practice guidelines;
- liaising with and providing technical support to mechanical and electrical design engineers on new and refurbishment projects regarding sustainability, energy and water conservation;
- liaising and negotiating with contractors, the building supplies industry, council services and other relevant organisations;