What is the job description and role of an Event Organiser? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Event Organiser?
Event Organiser Job Description
Event organisers are responsible for the production of events from conception through to completion. Events can include:
- exhibitions and fairs;
- promotions and product launches;
- fundraising and social events.
They work in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors and can work for event management companies, in-house for an organisation or freelance.
The role of event organiser is hands-on and often involves working as part of a team. Event organisers must be able to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear communication, excellent organisational skills and attention to detail. They must work well under pressure, ensuring the smooth and efficient running of an event.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of an Event Organiser
- producing detailed proposals for events (e.g. timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budgets);
- researching markets to identify opportunities for events;
- securing and booking a suitable venue or location;
- ensuring insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are adhered to;
- coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire;
- liaising with clients to ascertain their precise event requirements;
- agreeing to and managing a budget;
- coordinating staffing requirements and staff briefings;
- selling sponsorship/stand/exhibition space to potential exhibitors/partners;
- preparing delegate packs and papers;
- liaising with marketing and PR colleagues to promote the event;
- organising facilities for car parking, traffic control, security, first aid, hospitality and the media;
- identifying and securing speakers or special guests;
- planning room layouts and the entertainment programme, scheduling workshops and demonstrations;
- liaising with clients and designers to create a brand for the event and organising the production of tickets, posters, catalogues and sales brochures;
- coordinating suppliers, handling client queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly;
- overseeing the dismantling and removal of the event and clearing the venue efficiently;
- post-event evaluation (including data entry and analysis and producing reports for event stakeholders).