What is the job description and role of a Lecturer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Lecturer?
Lecturer Job Description
Higher education lecturers are employed by universities and higher education establishments to undertake teaching, research and administrative duties within a specialist subject area.
The requirement to publish research work and general commitment to the job commonly results in Lecturers working long hours, including evenings and weekends. An excellent teaching and research record is generally necessary for career progression as there is strong competition for senior positions.
The job commonly requires working evenings and weekends. Many people enter the profession via part-time/temporary contracts, supplementing their salary via writing, private tuition and exam marking or by taking up several part-time posts.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of a Lecturer
- attending staff meetings
- general administration
- managing research budgets
- supervising PhD students and research staff
- checking and assessing students’ work
- encouraging personal development via tutorial/pastoral work
- interviewing course applicants
- lecture planning, preparation and research
- invigilating examinations
- contact/teaching time with students
- writing research proposals, papers and other publications
- reading academic journals
- attending and speaking at conferences and seminars
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!