CANADEM – Established in 1996 with Canadian Government start-up funding,
CANADEM is an international not-for-profit NGO dedicated to advancing
international peace and security through the rostering, rapid
mobilization, and mission management of experts committed to
International Service with the UN, other IGOs, NGOs, and governments.
CANADEM is seeking seasoned professionals with previous relevant
experience with emergency mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS)
who are available for an immediate deployment to Maiduguri, Nigeria as a
seconded expert with IOM for a 6-month contract.
Job Title: IOM-Livelihood Officer (MHPSS)
Project Officer (Livelihood)
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Under the guidance of the PSS Project Officer, monitor and
coordinate the operational planning and implementation of key livelihood
assistance services delivered under the Mental Health and Psychosocial
- Coordinate closely with the national project assistant and the
psychosocial support project officer to ensure that livelihoods targets
are being reached in accordance with the MHPSS work plans.
- Work as part of team on the development of a strategy to
maximize IOM assistance in the areas of livelihood, MHPSS, peace
building and conflict prevention, and other durable solutions for
internally displaced populations and refugees.
- Draft new standard operating procedures (SOPs) and forms where
required and also refine existing project implementation tools and
methodologies for efficient and effective implementation of IOM’s
interventions in the livelihoods sector.
- Assist the Programme Manager and Project Development Unit in preparing narrative reports as required by the donor and IOM.
- Represent IOM at Early Recovery, livelihood and cash transfer related meetings and working groups and meetings.
- Explore the possibilities for IOM to implement additional early
recovery and cash-based programming and support in drafting related
concept nots and proposals.
- Conduct regular field monitoring visits and evaluations of
project activities, including impact evaluations. Facilitate reviews
conducted by consultants.
- Working closely with team members, identify trends in the data
that can inform the prioritization of organizational resources and
inform future policy on community stabilization.
- Assist in identifying and monitoring external expertise required
for livelihood assessments, project reviews, strategic planning, and
- Provide technical livelihoods guidance to IOM MHPSS activities
in North East Nigeria in line with established methodologies. Ensuring
technical integrity is maintained and provide inputs on specific issues,
such as market linkages and value chain management.
- Liaise with project partners, government officials, other
programme stakeholders, and relevant counterparts. Represent IOM in the
relevant sector working group.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with IOM and donor requirements
including guidelines, rules, and regulations, such as the field
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Competencies, Skills & Qualifications
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders,
beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or
Emergency and Crisis:
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures;
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal
units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors;
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners;
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Development Studies, Business Management,
Socio-Economic Development, Private Sector Development and Rural
Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution
with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Required: English (fluent)
- Desired: Haussa, Kanuri
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an updated resume, date
of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can
reach you to: pantiwa.naksomboon@CANADEM.ca Please include in a Subject Line: “IOM-Livelihood Officer-Nigeria.”
- Please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at: www.canadem.ca/register
- Please also forward blank referee questionnaire that can be found at: www.canadem.ca/rqf
to two of your references (recent supervisors preferred). Full
instructions on how to complete the forms are included in the document;
also please send us any evaluation report that you may have about your
field work. We will be considering applications as they are received
Application Deadline 23rd November, 2016.