What is the job description and role of a Merchant Navy Officer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Merchant Navy Officer?
Merchant Navy Officer Job Description
Merchant navy officers are employed by commercial shipping companies to work on all kinds of seagoing vessels, such as cruise liners, cargo ships, tankers and hovercraft.
These guys typically adopt a deck officer or engineering officer role in a team leading capacity. However, they also do their fair share of hands-on practical work.
Job Description, Duties, Functions, Roles and Responsibilities of a Merchant Navy Officer
- repairing and upgrading systems and equipment, e.g. air compressors, pumps and sewage plants;
- implementing regular equipment inspections and maintenance programmes;
- keeping up to date with developments in the marine engineering field.
- coordinating the safe loading, storage and unloading of cargo;
- managing the care and safety of passengers (if working on a ferry/cruise ship);
- supervising the operation and maintenance of deck machinery, e.g. winches and cranes;
- managing ship communication systems;
- navigating the vessel using a range of satellite and radar systems and equipment;
- checking weather and navigation reports and taking appropriate action;
- monitoring and maintaining safety, firefighting and life-saving equipment;
- overseeing the ship to ensure that the highest levels of health and safety are maintained;
- maintaining legal and operational records, e.g. the ship’s log;
- keeping up to date with developments in maritime legal, commercial and political matters.
- directing others in the operation and maintenance of the mechanical and electrical equipment on board;
- managing power, fuelling and distribution systems;
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!