What is the job description and role of a Public Health Officer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Public Health Officer?
Public Health Officer Job Description
Public Health Officers apply knowledge of general preventive medicine and public health issues to promote health care to groups or individuals, and aid in the prevention or reduction of risk of disease, injury, disability, or death.
May practice population-based medicine or diagnose and treat patients in the context of clinical health promotion and disease prevention.
Public health is concerned with the assessment, monitoring and promotion of the health of the population. It deals not only with the prevention of health-related conditions, such as infectious diseases, but with ways to reduce the effects of existing problems, such as substance abuse
Job Description, Duties, Functions, Roles and Responsibilities of a Public Health Officer
- Design or use surveillance tools, such as screening, lab reports, and vital records, to identify health risks.
- Develop or implement interventions to address behavioral causes of diseases.
- Direct or manage prevention programs in specialty areas such as aerospace, occupational, infectious disease, and environmental medicine.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of prescribed risk reduction measures or other interventions.
- Identify groups at risk for specific preventable diseases or injuries.
- Perform epidemiological investigations of acute and chronic diseases.
- Coordinate or integrate the resources of health care institutions, social service agencies, public safety workers, or other organizations to improve the community health.
- Deliver presentations to lay or professional audiences.
- Prepare preventive health reports including problem descriptions, analyses, alternative solutions, and recommendations
- Supervise or coordinate the work of physicians, nurses, statisticians, or other professional staff members.
- Teach or train medical staff regarding preventive medicine issues.
- Provide information about potential health hazards and possible interventions to the media, the public, other health care professionals, or local, state, and federal health authorities.
- Design, implement, or evaluate health service delivery systems to improve the health of targeted populations.
- Direct public health education programs dealing with topics such as preventable diseases, injuries, nutrition, food service sanitation, water supply safety, sewage and waste disposal, insect control, and immunizations.
- Document or review comprehensive patients’ histories with an emphasis on occupation or environmental risks.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!