RTI (www.rti.org) is an independent, nonprofit institute that provides
research, development, and technical services to government and
commercial clients worldwide. Our mission is to improve the human
condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our International
Development experience in
supporting systems and learning improvement
extends throughout Africa,Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the
RTI is presently accepting expressions of interest from qualified
Nigerian nationals for an upcoming USAID funded governance project. We
are looking for candidates with the experience working on USAID or other
international donor funded projects in Northern Nigeria in the capacity
Job Title: State Manager
Job ID: 17625
Locations: Sokoto, Bauchi, and up to 4 additional states in Northern Nigeria
The GED Division is currently accepting applications for State Managers
for an anticipated USAID-funded State2State (S2S) activity in Sokoto,
Bauchi, and up to 4 additional states in Northern Nigeria. The overall
goal of S2S is to increase the effectiveness, accountability and
transparency of selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
This will be achieved by strengthening systems to improve the delivery
of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and
water, sanitation and hygiene – WASH); increasing the efficiency of key
governance operations (with a focus on public financial management
[PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation);
increasing government’s responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities;
and improving government and civil society capacity to manage
conflict. State2State builds on and expands the Mission’s currently
ongoing “Leadership, Empowerment, Advocacy and Development” (LEAD,
2009-2017) activity, implemented by RTI.
The State Manager reports to the Chief of Party at the head office and
will have overall responsibility for implementing, monitoring and
reporting on technical activities and managing human and financial
resources in the assigned state. The State Manager will lead a dedicated
team of development specialists to develop, implement and monitor the
S2S work plan for their assigned State. Candidate should possess
strong management, administrative and communication skills (including
report writing). Positions will be based in partner states.
Department Marketing Statement
RTI’s Governance and Economic Development Division pursues innovative
approaches and builds on best practices to create the foundation for
and to promote democratic governance and economic development. Working
alongside global partners, public institutions, the private sector,
and civil society, we help build more effective, accountable, and
responsive institutions and policies at the national, regional, and
local levels of government.
We believe an integrated approach using cross-sectoral strategies –
incorporating service delivery and the social sectors, such as health
and education – achieve the best results. Our clients include U.S.
Agency for International Development (USAID), U.K.’s Department for
International Development (DFID), World Bank, and the Australian
Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic leadership, technical and managerial
direction for the successful implementation of the program in the
- Responsible for the overall performance and results of the
program in the partner state, including management and oversight of the
program’s technical, operational, and administrative staff.
- Act as the focal point for the state team with the project HQ.
Organize meetings, conference calls and field trips to facilitate the
involvement of the technical support team in program development
planning and implementation.
- Track S2S program development and keep the HQ project managers apprised of progress and challenges.
- Develop weekly briefs for submission to the head office and monthly reports for inclusion in the quarterly report.
- Liaises regularly with program management team on management and decision-making.
- Ensures the timely completion of all technical and financial deliverables in accordance with USAID guidelines.
- Serves as RTI’s liaison with government counterparts, local
organizations, and program partners in the target state. Ensures a high
level of communication and close working relationships with the state
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- BA in relevant Social or Administrative Science or equivalent
and 10 years of development experience, including at least 5 years’
experience working to strengthen state and local governments or
decentralization in Nigeria.
- Proven leadership, team building, management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills is required.
- Ability to work independently, and within team in difficult work environment.
- Analytical and research skills.
- Excellent computer knowledge with command on MS Excel among other packages of MS Office is required.
- Ability to speak the local language strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and strong knowledge of management and systems.
- Demonstrated experience and strong knowledge of state and local
government operations, and the ability to work with sub-national
institutions to develop and implement project activities.
- Strong English oral/written communication skills and ability to
communicate at multiple levels in the organization is required. This
includes demonstrated experience with technical report writing in
Position is contingent upon award and funding. Compensation will be based upon RTI’s Nigeria Country Compensation Framework.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s (not to exceed 3 pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to apply
- Please be sure to provide sufficient details on relevant
experience, accomplishments and responsibilities relevant to the
position for which you are applying.
- CV’s which provide insufficient detail to determine fit for the job will not be reviewed.
- Please also include a one page cover letter which describes how
your skills and experience are relevant to the position for which you
- Excellent communication skills – oral and written is required
for this position, therefore writing samples will be requested at the
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- RTI is seeking only local applicants.
Application Deadline 21st November, 2016.