The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) – The Global Fund
is a 21st-century organization designed to accelerate the end of AIDS,
Tuberculosis and Malaria as epidemics. As a partnership between
governments, civil society, the private sector and people affected by
diseases, the Global Fund mobilizes and invests nearly US$4 billion a
year to support programs run by local experts in more than 140
countries. By challenging barriers and embracing innovative approaches,
we are working together to better serve people affected by the diseases.
In close collaboration with the Nigerian Ministry of Health’s National
Products Supply Chain Management Programme (NPSCMP), we are embarking on
an ambitious and innovative approach to the challenges across Nigeria’s
This position is advertised by UNOPS on behalf of the Global Fund and
the level and remuneration are based on the Global Fund’s applicable
scales and policies
United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Support Officer
Vacancy code: VA/2016/B5316/11263
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department/office: AFR, GHOH, Nigeria
Contract level: LICA-3
Contract type: Local ICA Support
Duration: 1 year
Background Information – Job Specific
- The National Product Supply Chain Management Program (NPSCMP)
domiciled in the Food & Drug Services Department of Federal Ministry
of Health (FMOH) commenced the process towards an effective and
efficient supply management system in the country in 2012.
- The main objective was to collaborate with other programmes and
projects within the FMOH especially HIV/AIDs, TB, Malaria, Reproductive
Health and Vaccines and immunization (ATMRHV) to ensure effective and
coordinated management of their supply chains.
- To achieve this objective in its continuous efforts
collaborating with Donors/Partners, the National Supply Chain
Integration Project (NSCIP) was created in 2014 as a transitory
mechanism to full Government ownership after its termination in 2017.
- The goal of NSCIP is to effectively and efficiently integrate
Health Programmes Supply Chain Management activities for Procurement and
Supply Chain Management (PSM) services that would prevent stock outs in
store/facilities, minimize wastage and effectively operationalize the
entire system. After extensive discussions, planning and resource
mobilization, GON and Donors agreed that this intervention would be
deployed to 14 prioritized high disease burden states with subsequent
scale up to other states of the country.
- The overall vision of the NSCIP is captured in 4 work stream which are as follows:
- Strengthen the Federal and State Government coordination.
- Establish a network of Zonal Hubs (Warehouses) operated
under a Public Private sector Partnership (PPP) covering all HIV,
Malaria, TB, Reproductive Health and Vaccines where possible.
- Integrate Logistics and Transportation including Last Mile Delivery.
- Establish Logistics Management Coordination Units (LMCU) at
State level and deploy Logistics Management Information System (LMIS).
- The NSCIP which is the Project Management Office (PMO) for the
Nigeria Integration Project is rapidly scaling up its activities towards
actualizing its set goal and as a result would require the expertise of
Project Support Officer.
- The main objective is to support the Project Manager/s and PMO
in the co-ordination, planning and control of the project work streams.
- S/he works under the supervision of the Project Manager/s to
ensure the agreed project management methods and standards are
implemented throughout the project cycle.
- Define and document procedures in accordance with agreed methodology.
- Ensure seamless coordination and management of various Project support services
- Ensure effective and efficient workflow process for each project implementation cycle up to GFA review process
- Ensure smooth initiation of various work stream implementation
and ensure they are properly retired in line with GF requirements when
- Ensure effective liaison between PMO and other external stakeholders
- Ensure the agreed project management methods, standards and processes are maintained throughout the project lifecycle.
- Support the project technical team and Project Manager/s in
preparation of project’s procurement plan and ensure the timely
implementation of the project Procurement Plan in-conjunction with UNOPS
- Support in the identification of suitable suppliers that could provide required goods and services for the project.
- Ensure appropriate Fleet management procedure in line with the project manual
- Support the coordination and preparation of reports: monthly and
quarterly reports, semi-annual and annual programme reports, and any
other required programme/indicator reports.
- In conjunction with Planning /M&E team track and analyse
programme monitoring indicator data quality issues and implement agreed
strategies designed to improve the situation
- Assist the Project Manager/s and Team Managers in the development and maintenance of project plans.
- Develop and maintain the project library, filing, recording and reporting systems.
- Develop and implement appropriate configuration management procedures
- Co-ordinate the production of all reports and produce project summary reports.
- Set up and maintain systems for recording project costs
- Align and document procedures in accordance with agreed methodology
- Advise and assist project team members in the application of
project procedures disciplines and recording and reporting standards.
- Maintain risk and issue logs and change control records.
- Develop and support effective communication mechanisms between the project teams.
- Undertake any other administrative tasks as may be assigned by the Project Manager/s.
- Organization & Planning: Ability to plan, organize and
coordinate services; Ability to handle multiple tasks and recognize
priorities, working within tight deadlines;
- Computer skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook; Word and Excel with knowledge of Power Point desirable, Internet research;
- Sensitivity to confidential matters is required.
- knowledge/sensitivity on local social, political, economic
realities and dynamics in order to use appropriate influencing and
dialogue strategies; Ability to share this information with others,
generating a common interest and team working dynamics around this
issue; tailor management strategy accordingly and adjust the management
response to challenges and problems arising.
- Project coordination experience, and the ability to work well
with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside
clients and vendors;
- Personal Effectiveness: Proactively find innovative and creative
solutions, be efficient and reliable, adapt to change and uncertainty,
be decisive and act with integrity;
- Core Expertise: Passion for building and developing core skills
for the role and contribute knowledge outside of their immediate role;
- People Leadership: Effectively motivate, influence and develop
others, drive high performance, inspire people to follow them and act as
a role model;
- Working with Others: Build effective internal and external
relationships, involve others to solve problems and treat others with
consideration and respect;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Public Health, Science, Social science, Management or any related discipline.
- 5 years relevant work experience in any of these disease programs; Reproductive Health, TB, Malaria, and HIV/AIDS preferred.
- Exceptional management, interpersonal and cross-cultural
sensitivity to effectively relate to all levels of staff and members of
the donor/partner organisations.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan
strategically with ability to translate this into practical operational
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office applications.
- Project planning ability.
- At least three years in Project Support in Logistics and Supply Chain Management in the health sector.
- Experience working with Government will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of health commodity procurement and/or supply chain management environment is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Mandatory cover letter: All applicants are requested to support
their application by a one-page cover letter explaining the skills,
experiences and characteristics that make them especially suited to the
Application Deadline 24th November, 2016.