Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical
humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60
countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or
man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
Medecins Sans Frontieres is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission Assistant
Position in the organization chart:
- Hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Mission (HoM)
- He/she will work in close collaboration with Head of Mission and other Coordinating Departments.
Main objective of the position:
- Provide support to the mission by assisting the Head of Mission
in the administrative part of coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth
relation with local and national authorities, contributing to the
context analysis and follow-up, providing translations and interpreting
in order to facilitate coordination of tasks in the mission.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist the Head of Mission (HOM) in the context analysis,
disseminate relevant context information to the coordination team,
regularly inform them on key issues, update general information on the
context for MSF internal documents, and advise on cultural
appropriateness of organisational activities and individual behaviours
- Translate documents and act as an interpreter when needed
- Communicates pro-actively all important/relevant news/information regarding the context of the Country to the coordination team
- Facilitates contacts and organizes appointments with national authorities and local partners.
- Compiles press reviews at the request of HOM and shares them with HOM, MCT and field teams.
- Keeps all the documents, reports, files updated, properly filed,
and easy to access for the HOM and any other internal user when needed.
- Keep good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations
and file field contacts (other NGO’s, UN agencies, local authorities…)
verifying that they are easily accessible in order to facilitate
contacts and meetings?
- At the request of the HOM, represents MSF in meetings (NGO, official bodies, administration…).
- Ensure the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as
the MSF registration in a country, working permits, immigration
policies, national protocols, etc.
- At the request of the HOM, prepare and conduct an information
briefing focusing on the country context for International, Regional and
Legal and administrative issues:
- Ensure ongoing researches on national protocols, keeps MCT informed on any changes and spread information in the field
- Compiles and summarizes data and information on specific questions at the request of the Head of Mission.
- Ensures the close follow up of key administrative issues as
registration of MSF in the country, work permits, immigration,
procedures for importing medicines
Translation and interpretation:
- Translates documents for the head of mission as well as
documents that are of general interest for the Management Coordination
- Goes with the head of mission to meetings and translates for the HOM when needed.
- Education: University level studies or similar
- Languages: English, Hausa Language
- Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs
- Desirable experience with MSF or other NGOs
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
- As a humanitarian organization involved in emergency programs
all national and international MSF staff is expected to be flexible and
available for emergency response activities.
- S/he should be willing to undertake other tasks as necessary and
not specified in the job description, supporting the mission activities
in the response to potential emergencies and cover HR gaps or needs at
- English spoken and written and Hausa
- Due to the nature of MSF operations, flexibility is indispensable and unavoidable.
- Sensitive and respectful of religious and cultural differences:
- Identification with Humanitarian, Cross Cultural Awareness,
Self-Control, Quality and Results Orientation, Commitment, Stress
- Good computer skills (excel, word, outlook is an advantage).
- Capacity to work as a team, respectful and good working attitude.
- Organization and planning skills, initiative and proactive.
- Committed to humanitarian principles.
Salary as per the MSF salary scale (national contract).
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send their CV’s and motivation letter either by email to:
In person to the address below:
Road 131, House 10,
Gwarinpa Housing Estate,