The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer.
We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination,
enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage
applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on
the basis of
disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion,
sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by
Job ID: (02/17 LOS)
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Department for International Trade (DIT)
Main purpose of Job
- As part of the UK Government’s sub – Saharan Africa trade team,
the Public Engagement and Communication Officer is responsible for the
public-facing activity of the DIT teams in Nigeria and the West Africa
- You will work closely with the rest of the sub- Saharan Africa
trade team; and especially with Public Engagement and Marketing
colleagues in East and Southern Africa; in the Marketing hub in Dubai;
and with the DIT Marketing team in London to identify and implement the
best ways to generate demand for British goods and services across the
region; help British business success in sub – Saharan Africa; promote
the UK as a great place to invest in; and encourage UK investment into
- Key to success will be understanding the aims of our multi-year,
sector-specific campaigns and working very closely with the sector
leads to create and deliver a programme of public events and
communication activity designed to help them achieve their targets.
- You will also need to build relationships with the regional
trade media to ensure coverage of British business success. You should
expect some travel across the region and to the UK.
- The job holder will coordinate and deliver strategic and
value-adding public engagement activities and proactively work with
media to magnify the British Government’s trade agenda and support the
delivery of our business priorities across Nigeria and West Africa,
especially in our key sectors and markets.
- You will work to the Head of Public Engagement and Communication
for Africa (based in Johannesburg) and the West Africa Trade Director
(based in Lagos).
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Nigeria is the largest economy in Africa, the continent’s
largest oil producer and population, coupled with long-established
cultural and commercial links with the UK. It has huge long-term
economic potential with vast natural resources and a young and growing
population. As a result Nigeria offers business opportunities across the
full range of sectors, especially oil and gas but increasingly
renewable, infrastructure and agriculture. Current trade figures are
good but we are charged with increasing them.
- As part of the British Government’s commitment to increasing UK
exports to £1 trillion by 2020, DIT Nigeria, with offices in both Lagos
and Abuja, in conjunction with colleagues across the sub-Saharan region,
is developing a trade strategy to identify and better tap into this
vast potential and increase trade.
- We are looking for a highly organised person with a strong
attention to detail, ability to take the initiative, work accurately
within deadlines and with limited supervision, and be a strong team
member who works collaboratively.
- The Public Engagement position is responsible for building and
reinforcing the perception of the UK’s economic strengths and business
sector excellence, as well as promoting the opportunities in both the
Nigerian and West African region to British businesses.
- The Public Engagement Officer will support both DIT Nigeria and
the West African region with marketing requirements, work with suppliers
to develop and produce collateral with value for money, manage online
marketing tools, act as a brand guardian e.g. the GREAT campaign, and
also work on admin and finance functions – all in close collaboration
with the sub Saharan African Marketing team based in South Africa and
the Marketing Hub in Dubai.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Trade Adviser for Oil and Gas, DIT
Nigeria, on promoting the current High Value Campaign, and any more that
are developed in the coming months, ensuring that it is given maximum
publicity to ensure UK companies are in pole position to win multi
million pound contracts.
- Work with DIT teams on country-specific public engagement plans
to support delivery of their key objectives. This will include managing
the calendar of events across the region as a day to day contact.
- Ensure maximum positive profile and impact from all commercial
events, visits and other public engagement activities across the region,
internally and externally, including through creating appropriate
content and collateral and working through existing UK Government
campaigns, such as GREAT.
- Work closely with Media teams in Nigeria and across the region ensuring a seamless and professional presentation.
- Ensure appropriate, on-brand and up-to-date materials and
content are available and used appropriately for all regional commercial
events to maximise the UK’s key messages and profile.
- Ensure all marketing and events work is evaluated, with lessons
learned and implemented, to ensure consistently high standards and
continuous improvement in performance and impact.
- Work with the Head of Public Engagement Africa to manage partners and sponsors.
- Ensure maximum value for money from all expenditure and work
with the Director (W Africa) to secure additional funding for
value-adding, customer-facing activity.
- Liaise closely with DIT Nigeria and across the region and
appropriate Residence Managers, to ensure events e.g. DIT customer
receptions, are well presented and professionally executed.
- Proactively implement the commercial communication strategy to
raise the profile of UK government trade messages and commercial
successes in traditional media across the region.
- Work closely with the trade teams across the region to develop
and deliver integrated and innovative public engagement campaigns to
help deliver our business objectives and support priority campaigns.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Fluent written and spoken English
- 2-5 years of relevant experience
- A track record of managing multi-year projects and/or campaigns
- Excellent knowledge of using social and digital media in a professional environment
- Private sector experience
- Able to adapt to a quick changing and evolving business
environment; deliver in the face of uncertainity; and work proactively
- Ability to work with people at all levels of seniority in an
international environment and within a fast paced, results orientated
- Experience of delivering events and activities to budget and specification and against tight deadline.
- This work will require some regional and international travel so a valid and clean passport is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills, self motivated and results driven
- Great team player, able to build enduring and strong working
relationships with a wide variety of people and work very well across
- Good client engagement skills
- Strong IT skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
Desirable qualifications and Experience:
- Project management techniques and skills – relevant diploma
- Experience of working outside of Nigeria
- Changing and Improving,
- Collaborating and Partnering,
- Managing a Quality Service,
- Delivering at Pace
- The successful applicant will have experience in delivering public engagement activity and working with the media.
- You will be energetic and creative, devising new and different
ways to engage clients and stakeholders and promote the UK Government’s
messages and activity in the commercial arena.
- You will be a strong team player with excellent interpersonal
skills and a proven track record of working with others. You will be
able to juggle a number of different demands on your time at the same
time, sometimes working to very tight deadlines.
- A strong eye for detail, to deliver slick and impactful events
and ensure public engagements are branded correctly and magnify the UK
appropriately. You will be confident using a mix of traditional, social
and digital media platforms. Media experience and networks beneficial
but not essential.
- The position will require flexible working, the successful
applicant must be able to deliver events including outside standard
working hours e.g. working breakfasts, dinners and evening receptions.
Starting Monthly Salary.
- N 521 826
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to
do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the
requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Deputy High
Commission in Lagos are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service
according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g.
certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats
will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Successful candidates not resident in Nigeria will be personally
liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation
and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your
application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Deputy High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Start Date : 1st March, 2017.
Application Deadline: 20th February, 2017.