The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was
established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first
Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning
and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns.
Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a
career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the
development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing
the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s
critical social and economic problems.
This position is a local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal
residents of Nigeria. We are seeking for suitably qualified candidates
to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Department: Office of the President
Summary of Position
The Legal Officer, American University of Nigeria, is charged with the responsibility to:
- Draft and review contracts and service level agreements
- Assist in the development of guidelines, policies, procedures
- Provide legal assistance/support for units and departments as may be required
- Interface with corporate entities and individual over compliance and regulatory issues
- Keep abreast of relevant legal and regulatory developments, laws and government policies
- Implement an effective statutory intelligence and advisory
systems which support the university’s strategic and operational plans
- Analyze and review legal agreements, policies and documents
- Ensure (internal & external) compliance with laid down guidelines, policies and procedures
- Assist with institutional secretarial and administrative duties
- Monitor the university’s relationship with external counsel and relevant government agencies
- Prepare periodic reports for management’s consideration; and
- Perform other sundry duties assigned by the In-House
Lawyer/Secretary, the President or the Board of Trustees, in accordance
with the policies and procedures of the University.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to process information and make clear and definite recommendations on course of action
- Possess good business and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, prioritize assignments and deliver superior results
- A Master’s degree or good first Degree in Law or related discipline from a recognized University, plus Call to the Nigerian Bar
- Membership of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- Interest in corporate law and company secretarial duties
- A strong work ethic characterized by high integrity and professionalism
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A minimum of three years industry-related experience working as a legal practitioner in Nigeria
- Experience of working in an academic environment is highly beneficial
- Proficiency in the use of Information and Communications Technology tools and e-resources.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- This person may also have certain teaching, service, scholarship, and/or other administrative or support responsibilities.
- Ability to develop a work schedule, set goals, creates / implements actions plans and monitor progress towards goals.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in typing/word processing and use of personal computer/software.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Note: The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org