The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The
institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its
mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be
prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State,
the University is a
world-class career-oriented institution missioned
to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a
strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential
to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
This position is a local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal
residents of Nigeria. We are seeking for suitably qualified candidates
to fill the position below:
Job Title: Academic Advising Coordinator
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Department: Academic Affairs – Provost Office
Summary of Position
The Academic Advising Coordinator will support the Director in the
leadership and development of the Advising and Retention unit where s/he
shall work closely with the Director in the operation of the office –
ensuring the retention and development of an advising model that aids in
and supports the academic development and retention of students.
- Minimum Master’s degree in Education, Psychology, Higher
Education, Counseling, or related field required from a reputable
- Min. of five years’ work experience – experience in academic
advising, retention, counseling, higher education administration or
other student support services is an advantage.
- Familiarity and expertise with information technology, including
administrative software systems and Microsoft Office; knowledge of
- Ability to work with confidential material with integrity and discretion.
- Ability to thrive in diverse environments and strong cross cultural communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
ability to manage multiple tasks at once, organized and detail oriented.
- Sound understanding of academic advising and student development
theory, and success in working collaboratively with faculty,
administrators, and students; is a plus
- A clear understanding of professional boundaries and acceptable
ethical behavior – including, but not limited to, appropriate
relationships with students.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators and other staff members;
- Ability to make balanced judgments and decisions
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, presentation and planning skills
- Attentive listening skills
- Some evening and weekend hours required; vacation time limited during peak times
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: 25th May, 2017.