The U.S. Consulate in Lagos State is seeking to
employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the
Facility Maintenance Section (FAC):
Job Title: Plumber, FSN-04/FP-AA*
Work Hours: Full-Time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent is directly supervised by the Maintenance Supervisor for all assigned duties as a Plumber in the plumbing trade.
- S/he carries out installation, maintenance and repair of
utility, supply and disposal system, fixtures, fittings and equipment
such as sewage, water, gas and oil lines, compressed air, vacuum and
acid systems, water closet, water heaters, hydrants, hydrants, valves
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Completion of Elementary school and vocational training or
apprenticeship recognized as producing journeyman plumber skills, or
equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of journeyman plumbing experience is required.
- Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Writing/Reading in English is required. .
- Full journeyman plumber knowledge of established practices and procedures is required.
- A valid Nigerian driver’s license is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that
the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and,
if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When
Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N3,599,599 p.a.
(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-04 In addition to the basic
salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission
Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM/EFM – US$25,514 Starting basic salary p.a. Grade: FP-AA*
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration.
- A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in
country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief
of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only
contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the
requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC
- A type – written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e – mail) submissions to one entry/e –
mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word
formats, not pictures.
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
Equal Employment Opportunity
- The U.S. Mission in Nigeria provides equal opportunity and fair
and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to
race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political
affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of
State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all
personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
- The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who
believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital
status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should
avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for
prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
Application Deadline: 1st June, 2017