Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good
Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Job Family: Programme
Reports To: Protection Team Leader (Mubi)
Matrix Manager: Protection Coordinator
Band: D2 National
Duration: Six (6) months contract
- To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
- Team Purpose To ensure Oxfam has the management, technical and logistical capacity to bothscale up and to respond rapidly to major humanitarian emergencies anywhere in the world
- To support in implementing gender-sensitive community-level protection activities in particular, cash for vulnerable livelihoods, protection monitoring and information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s policies and guidelines for managing information and relevant professional standards in protection work.
- Coordination of and delivery of agreed plans or strategies
- Representation in field protection working group and other relevant inter-agency coordination groups
- Strong technical understanding
- Management of field protection assistants
- Working along with WASH, EFSVL and other departments to ensure integrated protection activities are correctly planned and implemented throughout the project
- Collaborates with other teams and departments
- Mobilising communities
- Developing required tools for program implementation
- Making sound judgements regularly within agreed processes using a good understanding of team dynamics and the abilities of the team.
- Liaising with field offices of humanitarian agencies for our information dissemination activities and referrals
- Participatory protection information gathering and analysis in line with ICRC standards and ethics in protection work
- Works independently, making decisions and problem solving on routine, new and complex issues/problems, which are often highly unpredictable in type, content, or circumstances
- Weekly and monthly activity planning
- Collaborates with other teams and departments
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities in Mubi and throughout Northern Adamawa and southern Borno State
- Undertake regular field visits with the WaSH and EFSVL teams to identify and address, along with the sectorial teams, potential protection concerns arising from Oxfam’s humanitarian response.
- Monitors protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation
- Support the Programme Manager and Team Leaders to strategise, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection through all programme activities
- With support of the Programme Manager and Protection Coordinator, develop and update relevant Information, Education and Communication tools (leaflets, brochures, posters etc.)
- Coordinate and organize regular internal mapping of services available in the area of intervention
- Support the Programme Manager in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response
- In collaboration with the Protection Coordinator and the Programme Manager, ensure program staff are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs
- Prepare for and organize community consultations and community based orientation sessions, in coordination with Oxfam team(s) and other partners
- Participates in developing and updating the mapping of services for threats and abuses (including GBV) that IDPs and Host Community members face in Oxfam areas of operation
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research
- With support of the Protection Coordinator and the Programme Manager, follow-up with humanitarian actors about requests and invitations for community sessions
Advocacy and Research:
- Support protection-related advocacy researches and surveys in coordination with the Protection and Campaigns teams.
- Support Program Team for preparing written protection updates for Oxfam situation reports.
- Develop lines of communication and close collaboration with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response
- Attend external meetings in coordination Protection Coordinator, Protection Team Leader and Programme Manager
- Coordinate field activities with other Oxfam team
- Attending internal meetings
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork
MEAL and Reporting:
- Produce gendered protection updates that will be included in field visit reports
- Organise and prepare regular protection analysis
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
- Support country teams to ensure MEAL processes are engendered and include protection to ensure learning and protection issues are captured
- Contribute in Sitreps, biweekly/monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans and facilitation of community awareness sessions on basic and specialist protection services using approaches that promote gender equality
- Other duties and responsibilities required by the line manager
Skills and Competence
- Demonstrable experience (minimum 2 years) in working with communities in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law
- Proven analytical skills
- Understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
- Good levels of spoken and written English.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies
- Excellent computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel
- Capacity and willingness to regularly travel to the field locations where Oxfam operates
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches.
- Good understanding and knowledge in application of do no harm, conflict sensitivity principles and ICRC standards and ethics for protection work.
- University degree in a relevant discipline (law, political science, social science, psychology or any other relevant education profile), or comparable addition to experience.
- Demonstrable experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Understanding of local dialects
- Females are strongly encouraged to apply
- Previous experience in protection within a humanitarian response
- Previous experience with Cash Programming for Protection
- Experience in working in Borno/Adamawa
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum vitae as one attachment in English to: email@example.com with the position title and location as the subject of the email.
- Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work immediately.
- Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Equal Opportunity: “Oxfam is an equal–opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, etc.”