The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems. This position is a local position and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria and expatriate. We are seeking for a motivated, suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Law and HOD, Private & Business Law
Location: Yola, Adamawa State
Department: School of Law
Summary of Position
- The person for this position must be a skilled teacher, clinical
supervisor and an experienced attorney in the areas of private and
- This position will also require the publication of high-quality
legal scholarship and effective participation in law faculty committees,
the AUN law clinic, the AUN Moot Court and the AUN Access to Justice
- Furthermore, as head of the AUN law clinic, the position will
oversee all aspects of clinic management, including curriculum design
and client intake.
- Candidates with strong professional connections to the Nigerian
Bar and legal community who can mentor students and promote externship
and career opportunities for them will be viewed favorably.
- The successful candidate will display excellent written and oral
communication skills, demonstrated knowledge and experience with a
variety of lawyering and teaching methods and outstanding lawyering
- In addition to clinical supervision, the position is responsible for teaching outside the clinics, subject to the needs of AUN.
Requirements for the Position
- Candidates must hold a terminal doctoral degree in law from an accredited University and Bar membership in Nigeria.
- The ideal candidate will have some experience in legal practice,
excellent written and oral communications skills, proficiency in ICT, a
strong commitment to legal scholarship, and a high degree of
professionalism in all aspects of lawyering.
- Exposure to the US or comparable legal or law school systems will be an advantage.
- The AUN School of Law is a private, not-for-profit institution,
with a strong commitment to public interest, practical and clinical
education, and advancing social justice through the law.
Description of Benefits
Salary is commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience
and conform to the existing conditions of employment at AUN.
- The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their cover letters
highlighting their qualifications and teaching interests, resume, a
writing sample (preferably a peer-reviewed publication), and a list of
references to : firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of this publication.
Application Deadline: 17th June, 2017.