Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: INGO Forum Information Management Officer
- The Nigeria International NGO Forum (INGO Forum) is a civil society mechanism comprising of approximately 40 members (confirmed and prospective) and 4 observers active in the humanitarian and development fields in Nigeria.
- The purpose of the Forum is to provide an inclusive and consistent space for INGOs to develop and employ collective strategies and approaches to enhance the overall effectiveness and efficiency of humanitarian and development initiatives throughout Nigeria.
- The INGO Forum exists primarily to serve the needs of its members and to act in their interest for the betterment of serving beneficiaries.
- The main objectives include information sharing/ communication; coordination; policy development and advocacy; engagement with national civil society; and external representation of the INGO community.
- With 2 current staff (Coordinator and Support Manager) the INGO Forum plans to expand its reach with the goal of improving services to its members and increasing advocacy related to identified key priority issues. As of March 2017, the INGO Forum will be hosted by Mercy Corps in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja.
General Position Summary
- The INGO Information Management Officer will support the Forum and its member organizations in information exchange, representation, engagement with stakeholders, expansion of the Forum’s digital footprint advocacy and communication functions.
- S/he will serve as an information focal point linking external structures/ partners with up-to-date realities in the Northeast through proactive engagement with identified personnel and information collection and sharing.
- In collaboration with staff of the forum, s/he will facilitate the promotion of information products and media content, both within INGOs and on behalf of INGOs with other partners or stakeholders.
- As a main link between the INGO community and the Nigeria stakeholders/ international community, s/he will actively engage with media to identify opportunities for creating awareness and promoting activities of the Forum, using the full array of modern communications tools, including social media and on-line media channels.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Facilitate structured and effective information exchange both between internal INGO partners, and with external partners (NNGOs, UN, Government, Media, International community, etc)
- Stay informed on political, humanitarian and security contexts, while providing structured updates to the INGO Forum
- Assist in drafting humanitarian updates, policy briefs, and other similar materials.
- Facilitate effective information flow between field-level realities in NE Nigeria and capital-level coordination in Abuja.
- Compile and update simple 4Ws (Who, What, Where, When) matrixes/databases for Forum Members and, using this information, update stakeholders on joint INGO delivery progress.
- Undertake regular visits to the field and provide relevant updates on the humanitarian situation.
- Consistently liaise with key stakeholders in NE to share relevant information and stay informed.
- Engage partners to efficiently compile necessary information to respond to external requests.
- Summarize key documents (reports, assessments, etc) and share with partners in easily-read format.
- Support the Forum in developing data collection tools, databases, statistical reports and maps.
- Participate in monthly humanitarian coordination working group to ensure consistent messaging about the humanitarian situation in NE.
- Help facilitate INGO coordination with Media in NE states (Maiduguri with potential for other NE state capitals)
- Facilitate regular engagement with the press including media briefings, information support to media teams visiting the North East, and coverage of high-profile Forum engagements where necessary.
- Engage with other coordination mechanisms in Borno to ensure INGO representation and assure complementarity, gap-filling and avoidance of overlap.
- Develop relationships with NNGO consortia to explore partnerships and related capacity gaps.
- Identify opportunities for capacity building for NNGOs, as well as opportunities for INGOs to learn from NNGO practices.
- Assure NNGO interests are represented within INGO Forum key messages, and actively seek advocacy allies/partnerships.
- Provide linkages between INGO and NNGO community / identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Help organize and facilitate workshops and other capacity development, as necessary.
- Maintain welcome pack for arriving INGOs, and information pack on INGO Forum for other partners.
Finance & Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with donor and host agency (in this case, Mercy Corps) regulations
- Draft or review scope of work to hire and manage technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget, as required.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- INGO Forum team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
Knowledge and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Journalism, Social Sciences, International Development or related Technical field (Minimum: Master’s Degree).
- Demonstrated experience of 5 years in coordination of complex emergencies at international level
- Five years cognate experience in a similar role within an NGO (local or international), in a newspaper or research institution.
- Excellent writing, editing, analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted strategic documents.
- Knowledge and understanding of the international humanitarian/development system and the mandates of the actors involved.
- Prior experience in managing INGO Consortia/fora
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Strong data analytical and interpretation skills.
- Willingness to learn and interest in humanitarian practice.
- Commitment to international humanitarian standards and principles.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Proven experience in influencing for policy change and practice
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating meetings in high-pressure professional setting
- Demonstrated experience in lobby and engaging with high level actors with strong evidence from the field
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in humanitarian setting.
- Experience in an NGO (local or international), in NE Nigeria Humanitarian context.
- Knowledge of and contacts in Nigerian Media.
- Commitment to achieve results in a timely manner
- Trustworthiness and integrity
- Committed to humanitarian values and principles
- People management skills
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Gender equity and protection sensitive
- Creative solutions to problems.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 30th August, 2017 .