Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security – Liaison Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Level: Base level
Line Manager: Field Coordinator
Starting date: Asap
- Under the supervision of Log Coordinator, the Security-Liaison Officer at base level will be responsible to develop and follow up a context analysis mechanisms, to adapt and implement a security and safety frame, to set up and maintain a network of relations with authorities, other NGOs and field-level focal points to proceed for assessment of new areas of intervention, request of access authorizations, to report and to anticipate security-related events, in accordance to national and MdM internal procedures, under a confidentiality based approach.
- Identify a contact list (from authority, security entities, community leaders, HF staff, district office staff, local council …etc.) that can be used in case of the team having problem in the field/check points, to ensure safe access to implement MDM medical activities.
- Assess on a daily basis the security context. Global and Local.
- Analyze and report the security and contextual data using MDM validated tools.
- To support and monitor the implementation of the security pack in all operational bases
- Validate staff movements when needed.
- Liaison with Authorities and Humanitarian Actors
- Develop, maintain and establish an effective communication and good relationship with authorities and other humanitarian actors in order to proceed for: Facilitating visits of MDM staff with authorities, and obtaining access authorization for current and potential intervention areas
- Keep informed the Log Coordinator of any information concerning changes in the procedures and/or the legal context frame.
- Participate to any scheduled technical and coordination meetings when needed
- To be the main interlocutor with security forces and armed groups in the country
- Liaise with and exchange information with other aid organisations and with the authorities.
- To represent MDM values as secular, independent association whose commitment is to support sustainable improvement of health policies.
- Ensure proper update and delivery of constant companion cards for key staffs
- Conduct on-going security risk and threats assessment
- Monitor a mechanisms of security alerts to all key staff
- Brief incoming national personnel and ensure personnel are kept up to date on changing security conditions.
- Maintain and analyse an incident reporting system.
- Advise on technical protection and communications matters, such as site selection and protection, as well as the functioning and good use of communications equipment
- Be involved in incident response and crisis management and subsequent reviews and evaluations in collaboration with the Log Coordinator.
- Brief expatriates or any new external visitor about the national context
- Brief expatriates or any new external visitor about cultural and social customs
- Oversee adherence to procedures and plans.
- To develop SOP, validation procedures and briefing prior to fieldtrips to new and/or sensitive areas
- Develop and update a focal points database for info collection in permanent basis.
- During fieldtrips, to coordinate the convoy, represent MDM in check points, and to introduce the objective of the assessment, importance, and methodology if needed.
- Request to medical team any information/issues/concerns that might affect the team safety or MDM acceptance in the area of intervention (i.e. if they face/feel community resistance for family planning, vaccination, handling GBV case… etc.
- During identification of MDM new locations of interventions, security-liaison officer should collect information about the possible places from the different networks (i.e. Authority, community leaders, MAG, other relevant actors) and gather needed information about the location safety, access, and other relevant actors on the screen.
- To get verification of safe access by communication with key people (to be identified in each targeted location) before each field visit.
- Security-liaison officer is the person in charge to answer authority non-technical questions, (example in check points)
- He is in charge to introduce MDM team to people and to explain about MDM, presence, activities. etc.
- Identify possible places for team hibernation in the field and advise on adaptation of security pack based on new needs and context factors.
- Identify relevant actors in the area and get involved in the actors mapping, including analysis of relationships and dynamics between different actors and impact on MDM intervention.
- Be flexible in performing his duties
- Inform immediately the log coordinator in case of any security problem
- Realize a weekly and monthly activities report to submit to the General coordinator
- Participate in a pro-active way to MdM internal meetings (general, admin, security…)
- Ensure the translation of documents when needed.
- Perform other additional duties on request of the country representative and logistic coordinator
- University degree or a Diploma in Social Sciences or other related field
- Very good research and analytical skills
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security/safety-related subjects, threat/risk assessment, strong representation and negotiating skills, security management, networking and personal and organizational security awareness
- Be proactive in improving skills by keeping up to date with new / latest development in safety and security operations procedures
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports, make presentations
- Full command in writing, reading and speaking of English and Hausa
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a two page curriculum vitae; three work-related references; a one page cover letter explaining how your skills and experience match the job requirements stated above (If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF. Also, write the job title and your name in the subject line) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only applications by email will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- We are unable to accept phone calls. We’ll pay attention only to the complete files in English.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- If you have not heard from MdM within 2 weeks, after the close of this position you should presume you were not short listed for this position. However, MdM thanks you for your interest and encourages you to apply for other openings where your skills and experience match.
Application Deadline 6th October, 2017.