The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the worlds leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in contract lifecycle management, including preparation, review, negotiation and advise on all research agreements (including donor agreements, partnership agreements, MoUs, research collaborations, consultancies, material transfer agreements, licensing agreements etc.) and other institutional agreements and contracts;
- Monitor finalization and submission/return of completed contracts, appropriate follow-ups and archiving of all research and other institutional agreements;
- Manage administrative and legal aspects in relation to project start-up and close-out
- Conduct due diligence, on partners prior to preparing, partner agreements, asset disposal etc.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of the Legal Unit including the implementation of new systems.
- Assist in the development of guidelines and templates for effective project start up and close out
- Assist with organizing and conducting workshops for partners and other IITA staff on legal and other related topics
- Contribute to the development of implementation guidelines for and support the implementation of IITA Intellectual Property (IP) Policy and other Policies;
- Maintain and update the IITA Contracts/Legal Management System/Database
- Assist in preparing, drafting and vetting all agreements
- Support internal and external capacity development in project development and administration
- Carry other duties, properly assigned, as may be occasioned by the exigencies of the job
- A law degree (LLB), Law School degree (BL).
- Master’s degree in Law (LLM/MILD) and or MBA is an advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have at least six year’s post-law school experience in legal practice in a busy environment, preferably in a corporate environment or an international non-profit organization
- Proactive and self motivated individual able to work with minimum supervision
- Be proficiency in basic Computer and Typing skills (Word,Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate good grasp of relevant laws including but not limited to Laws governing International non-profit organizations; Intellectual Property (IP) Law and related International Laws and Treaties, Labour Laws and Corporate Governance.
- Possess excellent communication, research, presentation and analysis skills
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Application Deadline: 21st September, 2017.