Oracle provides the world’s most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems, with more than 370,000 customers including 100 of the Fortune 100 representing a variety of sizes and industries in more than 145 countries around the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Compliance and Ethics Counsel (Nigeria and Francophone Africa)
Job Ref: 18000F3M
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
- Responsible for supporting the implementation of Oracle’s Compliance and Ethics Program and achieving program objectives in Nigeria and French-speaking Africa.
- Reports directly to the Senior Managing Counsel, Sub-Saharan Africa; dotted line reporting to the Managing Counsel, Middle East & North Africa.
- Collaborate with, and provide practical guidance to, Oracle’s regional management on ethics, business conduct and compliance matters.
- Partner with local management teams as a trusted advisor and integral team member while retaining independence.
Training & Communications:
- Develop, implement and execute an annual live training curriculum and schedule to ensure that Oracle employees as well as distribution partners in Nigeria and French-speaking Africa are aware of Oracle’s Code of Ethics & Business Conduct, Global Anti-Corruption Policy and relevant laws.
- Work with senior counsels to develop and deliver regular communications to employees in Nigeria and French-speaking Africa concerning Oracle’s Code of Ethics and Business Conduct and related policies and procedures as well as new developments in laws or regulations pertaining to compliance.
- Collect management and employee feedback on the effectiveness of Oracle’s compliance policies, trainings and communications.
Investigation & Remediation:
- Collaborate with external counsel, C&E Forensics, Global Information Security and the global compliance team as well as Finance, Human Resources and the Legal Department, as appropriate, to investigate allegations of unethical behavior or other violations of Oracle policy, to recommend appropriate disciplinary and/or remedial measures, and to ensure such measures are promptly implemented.
- Collaborate with C&E Forensics and the global compliance team to record the progress of these investigations in Oracle’s case management system to enable, among other things, system analytics and reporting for senior management.
Partner Compliance Management:
- Collaborate with the Alliances & Channels organization to ensure the selection of Oracle distribution partners that are committed to ethical business conduct and to support those partners in the implementation of effective compliance programs.
- Review of meals, gifts and entertainment to ensure compliance with Oracle policy.
- Disclosure of conflicts of interest in Nigeria and French speaking Africa, and ensure that mitigation plans are implemented where appropriate.
- Handle escalations of Oracle distribution partner issues that arise through investigations or routine due diligence.
- Meet with Oracle distribution partners to underscore Oracle’s commitment to ethical business practices.
- Approvals Escalation Point. Serve as an escalation point in the process for:
- Review of events, meetings and related expenses to ensure compliance with Oracle policy.
- Identify areas of legal compliance risk and collaborate with the global compliance team to mitigate the risk.
- Work with the global compliance team to identify common concerns, establish common standards and propagate best practices.
- Collaborate with the global compliance team to monitor and continuously improve Oracle’s Compliance and Ethics Program.
- Develop an expertise in global and local anti-corruption laws and related legal landscape, monitor ethics and compliance developments, identify best practices and champion adoption as appropriate.
- Undergraduate and legal Degrees from top institutions.
- 6+ years of legal experience, preferably in a combination of global law firm and in-house environments. Experience in the high technology industry as well as previous experience in compliance and compliance investigations preferred.
- Integrity and commitment to the highest ethical standards and personal values.
- Strong executive presence and the ability to quickly gain the confidence of business clients.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Strong teamwork and collaboration skills critical.
- Superior written and oral communication skills with an ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent judgment and the capacity to make decisions and give advice that demonstrates an understanding of the risk/rewards of each situation.
- Practical and creative problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously handle multiple tasks and prioritize work as needed to meet business requirements.
- A high level of passion, self-motivation and commitment to client service.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and French (written and spoken) required. Additional local language skills strongly preferred.
- Primarily based in Nigeria, but must be willing to travel in the region as required (at least 20%).
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
- Provide legal support across all lines of business enabling profitable growth while mitigating legal risks and assure adherence to governance policies, ethics, and country specific laws and regulations
- Responsible for providing legal advice to the organization.
- Close liaison to business in providing a variety of corporate and commercial legal services.
- May perform litigation on Oracle’s behalf or coordinates litigation and other legal, administrative or investigative actions handled by outside counsel.
- May have project lead role. 5+ years related experience. Bachelors degree in computer science, computer engineering, or similar background is a plus for roles within certain sub disciplines.
- Completed law degree and member of bar association in relevant jurisdictions. Excellent legal skills and business judgment in areas of responsibility. Proficient writing skills.
- May draft, review, and negotiate major and/or non-standard technology contracts with public and private sector customers, including licensing agreements, professional services agreements, and cloud services agreements.
- May advise on legal issues involving government and regulatory compliance.
- Responds to ad hoc queries to include identification, analysis, and evaluation of risks in order to provide appropriate legal solutions.
- Works closely with other lawyers throughout Oracle and coordinates legal matters handled by outside lawyers.
- Demonstrates deep general commercial or functional knowledge across a sub discipline within the individual’s specialty area(s), (e.g., general corporate law, antitrust/competition law, securities compliance and regulatory, employment law, immigration law, cloud transactions, data privacy, risk management asset-backed financing, contract management, intellectual property, trade secrets, advertising law, registration and other resolutions specific to the computer and technology industry)
- Job duties are varied and complex utilizing independent judgment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: As part of Oracle’s employment process candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process, prior to an offer being made. This will involve identity and employment verification, salary verification, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships (if applicable).
Timely information is key to getting a job. Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!