The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Broadcast Journalist (Video), BBC Africa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/28222
Division: BBC World Service
Reports to: Senior Broadcast Journalist ( Team Leader )
Grade: Local terms and conditions
Working pattern: Local Terms & Continuing Contract
- We are looking for a Video Journalist to work in a new Innovation hub in Lagos delivering original digital video content for African audiences.
- The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a portfolio of new services and content. This will double the size of the African service.
- BBC Africa aims to report in a lively and engaging fashion, and interactivity, promotion of content on social media and social newsgathering form a large part of its activities across all platforms. It is via social media that BBC Africa Service seeks to engage younger and digitally savvy audiences across Africa and the diaspora.
- You’re a creative and versatile journalist, with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms. We’re looking for producer who is passionate about digital storytelling and can shoot and edit their own content. As the digital landscape is changing you would need to be as nimble as the technologies.
- You will need sound editorial judgement, understanding of Africa news agendas, the ability to tell complex stories in an engaging way, sharp editing skills and ability respond to breaking news. You will be adept with technology, quickly pick up new skills and turn ideas into engaging storytelling. All candidates will be expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of digital platforms as well as video editing skills.
- To shoot edit and produce original content for BBC Africa digital output
- To devise new treatments of complex stories, including new visual treatments
- To discover and research original stories.
- Work with colleagues to ensure oversee their content to produce on digital platforms
- To commission and produce relevant material for digital platforms
- To re-write and edit complex items to a high standard against tight deadlines
Skills and Experience
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Proven editorial judgment and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly.
- Knowledge of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News.
- Must be able to work well and calmly in a live newsroom environment; handle a rapidly changing news agenda, and have the temperament to enjoy the process.
- Must be able to demonstrate sense of visual awareness as well as technical aptitude.Knowledge of Health and Safety policies and practices.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms – the BBC’s and others – and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement.Ability to work well with other producers, reporters and teams.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the hub broadcasts including an indepth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and take responsibility for the outcomes of the decisions made.
Imagination / Creative Thinking:
- Translates news and current affairs into high quality video content through a detailed understanding of the requirements of digital and social media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
Planning and Organizing:
- Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Can maintain personal effectiveness when managing setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and Persuading:
- Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others.
- Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Managing Relationships and Team Working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works cooperatively with others to be part of a team.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd May, 2018.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!