Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Media Coordinator/Radio Producer – Child Protection
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 12 months
Our Program in Nigeria
- We launched our programs in Nigeria in 2004. Now in 2017, the country program has offices in Abuja, Jos, Maiduguri, and Yola. We work with partners in target states of the country to support peaceful resolution of conflict. Each program is adapted to specific local context and conflicts, and all apply common ground tools from our toolbox.
- Search has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base and all our Nigeria offices are currently supporting a host of programs with activities that include capacity building, dialogues, peace architecture, media programming, participatory theatre and collaborative joint activities.
About the Project
- In the past decade, states in the North East region of Nigeria have faced frequent attacks by Boko Haram militants leading to widespread displacement, violations of national laws, international humanitarian and human rights laws, and a deepening humanitarian crisis. Children, who are the most vulnerable members of society, have suffered the worst impacts as pre-existing problems of access to social protection, education and healthcare increase, new threats emerge, and the systems to protect children fails.
- This project aims to ensure that children verified and separated from CJTF receive a comprehensive child protection package including counseling, psychosocial support and socio-economic reintegration, and that their communities understand the importance of their separation and reintegration.
- Search will work closely with the children, their families and communities, and CJTF to address the psychosocial and economic needs of the children and to influence the attitudes of communities and CJTF so they understand the negative impact of associating with armed groups on children and prevent the CJTF from using children.
- By increasing resilience of children associated with CJTF and increasing their employability, this project will facilitate lasting reintegration of these children and amplify positive narratives around their role in communities as productive civilian actors and agents for peace.
We are searching for:
- A professional, motivated, and creative Media Coordinator (Radio Producer) who will be responsible for the overall coordination and implementation of all media activities under the project.
- Specifically, the Media Coordinator will be responsible for the planning, production, publicity, outreach and broadcast of two weekly radio programs, a children radio magazine and a reintegration radio roundtable.
- The position requires a an experienced radio producer/ media professional who has experience in producing high quality radio programs using a range of different radio formats, having experience in children’s radio program and in themes of conflict transformation and peace building will be an added advantage.
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Child Protection Project Manager and will work closely with the Media Manager, DMEL Coordinator, and other project team members.
- The position holder will supervise and closely monitor the work of the radio producers based in the partner FM radio stations. This position is based in Maiduguri and will require some travel to the field across the Northeast Nigeria.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Serve as the Executive Radio Producer for the two radio programs: (i) a weekly children’s radio magazine and (ii) a weekly reintegration radio roundtable;
- Oversee and ensure quality of the production of the radio programs;
- Keep track of media logs, monitor the broadcast of the radio programs and provide regular feedback to the the parter FM radio stations;
- Listen and report all aired episodes of radio program and provide constructive feedback to the producers and presenters;
- Provide regular coaching and mentoring support to the radio producers, presenters and child reporters;
- Coordinate with the program teams to integrate program messages into media programming streams;
- Track organization’s news coverage through online and traditional sources;
- Provide support in writing, formatting and editing communications/media/outreach materials;
- Develop relations with media actors and assist in mobilizing media for events where necessary;
- Manage social media profiles relating to the project, including publishing and distributing content, running campaigns and monitoring progress;
- Capture photos and success stories in all Search meetings, trainings and events;
- Provide monitoring data to the DM&E manager and share success stories and impact stories as a result of radio programs;
- Provide media reports and documentation and share progress, challenges, and lessons learned to support the Project Manager to write periodic progress reports;
- Perform any other task as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Lead the selection of partner FM radio stations, radio producers and presenters, child reporters and adult mentors to child reporters;
- Develop activity work plans, radio program production and broadcast plans and strategies;
- Lead the curriculum process using Search’s common ground approach to develop the intended outcomes, knowledge, attitude and behaviour change objectives for the radio programs, determine the target audience, and key messages of the radio programs;
- Coordinate the training and capacity building of selected radio producers, presenters and child reporters;
- Develop and implement the promotion, publicity and outreach plan and strategy to promote and publicize the radio programs among its target audience;
- Support the Project Manager and Grants Coordinator to prepare Terms of Reference and Contracts for the Partner FM stations and the Radio Producers, Presenters and Child Reporters;
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Radio Production, Media, Journalism, Communication, Development Communications or a related area;
- At least 3 years of experience in producing and coordinating radio programs and radio teams;
- A good understanding of target audience, intended outcome programming, behaviour change communications, and edutainment approaches;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills.
- Track record of producing successful radio programs in Nigeria, preferably using radio magazine, discussions, talkshows formats;
- Ability to communicate in Hausa and Kanuri languages will be a big advantage;
- Experience of producing and coordinating children’s radio program will be an added advantage;
- Understand key opportunities in Nigerian media markets and a thorough understanding of requirements of different kinds of media i.e. print, TV, radio, and online;
You are expected to be:
- Leading and supervising: Has the ability to influence, motivate, and enable others to contribute toward the effectiveness and success of SFCG. Is able to build trust within team and acts with integrity.
- Focus on Quality: Setting high quality standards and striving for continuous improvement and quality assurance.
- Learning Ability: The ability to absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively
- Adaptability: The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures and people).
- Accountability: Being accountable and passing on accountability for one’s own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
- Attention to detail: The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently
- Collaboration: The ability to work effectively with others in order to achieve a shared goal – even when the object at stake is of no direct personal interest possibilities.
- Creativity: The ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Kindly include the following in your cover letter:
- Minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- Projected start date,
- Where you found this posting.
Application Deadline 25th May, 2018.
Note: We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.