The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position below:
Job Title: Head of Capacity Development Office
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- This position reports to Deputy Director General, Partnerships for Delivery. The Head of Capacity Development Office will be responsible for the coordination, delivery/facilitation and implementation of capacity development (CD) building services to IITA staff, and NARES aimed at strengthening their skills knowledge required to achieve agricultural transformation.
- He/she contributes to partnership, advocacy, networking and resource mobilization.
The tasks are as follows:
- Provide technical leadership and management of capacity development of IITA, NARES and others in fulfilment of the Institute objectives.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of strong relationships with partners, including senior-level officials of Governments, donors, the academic community and private corporations to promote the strategic interests of IITA.
- Contribute in the formulation, operational frameworks and implementation of youth and agriculture programs in consultation with relevant government agencies.
- Liaise with the HR on issues regarding staff development.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned.
- Manage the Capacity Development Office, including staff-development, work planning, direction and supervision, monitoring quality work, and evaluation of staff performance; set up and maintain a coordination system to achieve the best use of capacity development resources.
- Identify and develop, tools, materials and processes for specific areas/topics identified as needed for capacity development of staff and partners, which help the Institute mobilise NARES to achieve agricultural transformation.
- Liaise with the M&E Unit to establish and maintain a robust framework for measuring the impact of training provided by CDO, to include feedback from participants.
- Identify, develop and manage new income generation services and initiatives within the Capacity Development Team.
- Proactively propose concept notes and project proposals for consideration to seek out funding sources to augment the Institute’s programs in CD.
- Advanced degree in agricultural education, business administration, communications, liberal arts, human resources or related field.
- Experience of capacity building and learning theory and organizational development work in multinational settings.
- Ability to articulate and present material in a professional and effective manner, to a wide range of constituents including donors, government officials, private sector, collaborators, farmers, etc.
- Ability to draft project concept notes to support capacity building work.
- Excellent communication, networking, and inter-personal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with donors, colleagues, research institutions and partners.
- Good command of written and verbal English and French with ability to articulate a strong strategic vision.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Application Deadline 28th May, 2018.