The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is the trade association for the world’s airlines, representing some 275 airlines comprising 83% of global air traffic. We support many areas of aviation activity and help formulate industry policy on critical aviation issues. IATA’s mission is to represent, lead, and serve the airline industry. We help airlines to operate safely, securely, efficiently, and economically under clearly defined standards and regulations. Professional support is provided to all industry stakeholders with a wide range of products and expert services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Director, Safety and Flight Operations – Safety Focus
Job ID: 8948
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Position Category: Commercial and/or Technical
Contract Duration: Permanent
Employment Type: Full Time – Permanent
Travel Required: Yes
What we are looking for in IATA Africa and the Middle East
In order to deliver more value to our members and customers, to overcome our unique regional geographical and operational challenges, and to maximize the opportunities we have across the region, we are constantly looking for leadership talent in our Africa and Middle East region. Currently we are looking for a Subject Matter Expert who is:
- Accountable for advocating airline positions on Aviation Safety and Flight Operations taking into account IATA’s global, Operations Committee (OPC) and Regional Coordination Groups (RCG) initiatives
- Responsible for safety related activities in the assigned cluster with a focus on International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Regional Aviation Safety (RASG) activities
- Responsible for enhancing airline operational safety and helping to facilitate the implementation of IATA Safety and Flight Operations objectives.
Regional Safety and Flight Operations Delivery:
- Identify pending regulatory changes and coordinate IATA and airline input to these changes;
- Represent member-airlines in working closely with the regional ICAO offices, relevant government agencies and regional organization to advocate IATA technical policies and resolve operational issues
- Deliver on short, medium term and long-term objectives to benefit members and the strategies required to achieve them in accordance with the association governance policy and consultation with coordination groups;
- Respond to tactical issues arising in day to day operations in the region;
- Coordinate contingency measures in case of disruptions, advise members on available courses of action and monitor progress;
- In collaboration with Account Managers, establish and maintain close working relationships with Civil Aviation Administrations, Air Navigation Service providers, ICAO Office representation, relevant inter-governmental agencies and with other associations within the cluster
- Act on behalf of IATA member airlines to advocate safe, efficient and cost effective operations in accordance with IATA’s Industry Priorities and objectives and promote IATA requirements, technical and operational policies, products and services to agencies within the region;
- Promote industry best practices to help establish operational requirements and regional policies within the framework of IATA’s global safety and flight operations;
Cluster Delivery – Safety:
- Work with airlines to implement strategies as per IATA 6 points -safety programs;
- Directly support the creation of new industry initiatives to enhance safety and efficiency including work to mitigate aviation’s impact on the environment
- Drive the Implementation of the IATA audit programs including the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operators;
- Manage projects related to Safety and Flight Operations supporting, leading and driving IATA e.g. Global Aviation Data Database, assisting airlines to prepare for IOSA and ICAO activities, e.g. ICAO Regional Aviation Safety Group activities (RASG)e.g. Runway go teams, RASG report
Additional Focus for Africa:
- Drive the implementation of the Africa Safety Strategic Improvement Action Plan/ Abuja Plan of Action and Safety.
- Facilitate Africa and Indian Ocean Countries’ (AFI) Incident Analysis Group (AIAG).
Cluster Team Work and Expert Knowledge:
- Collaborate with and support the Cluster Project Team in an agile way;
- Partner with regional Subject Matter Experts to ensure a constant upskilling and regional capacity building;
- Provide timely reports to the Cluster Project Leaders regarding progress of work of the set objectives
- Maintain a proactive relationship with Subject Matter Experts at Headquarter level where applicable and benefit from expert guidance;
- Support fostering a culture of inclusion, integrity, team spirit, strategic thinking, partnering, innovative pioneering and acting with a human touch.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering or any other relevant discipline or equivalent technical standard or experience (e.g. CPL, IOSA auditor, )
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience with at least 8 years of experience in airline safety, flight operations and/or Air Traffic Management
- Leadership experience with an airline, air navigation service provider, civil aviation administration or a similar aviation related entity, noted for their strong focus on Safety and Operational effectiveness and efficiency;
- Working knowledge of ICAO standards and recommended practices, best practices and other procedures in civil aviation operations
- Working knowledge of safety management systems and flight operations environment;
- Experience on influencing decision makers at senior airline and CAA level (preferably within the Region)
- Experience in successful public speaking engagements, in making effective presentations to varying audiences and in preparing reports based on technical merits and facts
- Advanced Proficiency in MS Office
- Fluency in English (CEFR: C1) and French/Arabic (CEFR:B2) where applicable
- Advanced degree is an asset e.g. MBA
- Prior experience in commercial is an asset
- Proficiency in CRMs (e.g. Salesforce)
- Proficiency in regional languages (CEFR B1).
- IPL or ATC license is an asset
- Experience in implementing SMS, IOSA and / or as IOSA Auditor.
- Previous Experience in managing, leading or overseeing projects is an asset
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply