AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) is an international not for profit NGO, with its Headquarters based in Los Angeles, California. AIDS Healthcare Foundation is registered in Nigeria as Foundation for AIDS Care Prevention and Advocacy but collectively referred to as AHF Nigeria. AHF Nigeria works in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health to provide free HIV/AIDS services; HIV prevention and treatment (ART), capacity building and advocacy in resource constrained settings.
The organization seeks to hire highly competent, dynamic and experienced persons to fill the regular full time position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Scientist
Reports To: Laboratory Services Manager/State Clinical Coordinator
- To provide laboratory oversight in AHF supported sites and monitor adherence to standard laboratory protocols and guidelines. Involved in training, support supervision, mentorship, and team building exercises for laboratory staff.
- Directly supervises laboratory technicians and other lab personnel on routine lab assays, demonstrates experience in running the Cyflow (CD4+), Chemistry and Hematology machines. Ensures implementation of laboratory services in line with approved QC/QA protocols at supported healthcare centers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in the development and replication of the AHF Nigeria laboratory protocols and practices at all affiliated healthcare centers.
- Validates and reports, results of assays performed, delivers patients reports according to times indicated in policy and collection manual and ensuring strict adherence to safety procedures.
- Participates in identifying training needs, capacity building, mentorship and team building exercises for laboratory staff;
- Participates in inventory control management for laboratory supplies and reagents under AHF Nigeria for all sites;
- Ensures the compilation of monthly laboratory inventory at the supported Healthcare Centers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Participates in planning and overseeing, supervision and monitoring activities for the laboratory function for all sites;
- Provides routine and basic laboratory services for PLHIV attending the health facilities as required;
- Oversees laboratory services provision, ensures standard, and current practices are in place for maintaining high quality laboratory services including calibration, standardization and maintenance of automated or semi-automated instruments following established procedures.
- Ensures compliance and implementation of laboratory protocols for all lab technicians and assistance involved with the lab function; including maximizing the use of available resources.
- Coordinates with all laboratory vendors (external contractors) and the sites to ensure that the process of handling patient samples and delivery of results is efficient and effective.
Education and Experiences
- AIMLS, BMLS
- A minimum of three years post NYSC experience in a similar position.
- Communication Skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write reports. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees or other people.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Duly registered with the Medical Laboratory Scientists’ Council and hold a current annual practicing license.
- Must poses a valid license to practice as a Medical laboratory scientist.
- Experience with handling semi or fully automated machines a must;
- Additional qualification in Medical laboratory science or relevant postgraduate equivalent will be an added advantage.
- Experience with CD4, hematology, chemistry, microbiological systems.
- Proficient experience in various HIV services laboratory support equipment handling.
- High analytical skills, quality control and basic knowledge of HIV laboratory monitoring.
- Computer proficiency an added advantage.
Other skills and abilities:
- Must be able to travel 30-50% of the time;
- Sensitive to ethics and confidentiality of HIV/AIDS client issues;
- Possess current knowledge of best practices in HIV/AIDS laboratory management,
- Ability to prepare reports, provide team leadership and guidance.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application (CV and Cover Letter in PDF or MS Word format) to: address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kindly indicate the position and the location you are applying for as the subject of your e-mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer!