The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate
Contract: 2-years renewable contract
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in collating data, running statistical analysis, conduct literature search and preparation of reports;
- Assist in managing special projects, including breeding for drought tolerance, resistance to aflatoxin contamination, increases protein quality (QPM), as well as high mineral and pro-vitamin A content;
- Supervise screening of maize germplasm for quality protein under the light box in the laboratory;
- Assist graduate students on research projects as required;
- Assist scientists to maintain strict control of budget expenditures and casual labor employment;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Supervise all field research activities for savanna, mid-altitude and savanna-transitional zone breeding operations including field layout, fertilizer application, planting, data collection and harvesting;
- Visit all testing sites as required for effective supervision of trial and nursery management;
- Organize required inputs, materials and supplies for all testing sites and hire and pay casual labor for various field operations;
- Supervise handling of germplasm in the breeding nursery including planting, hand-pollinations and data collection;
- Assist scientists in keeping pedigree records and during selections of breeding materials in various nurseries;
- Supervise seed multiplication of open-pollinated varieties, inbred lines and hybrids;
- Supervise junior staff and assist the scientist in appraising their performance at the end of the year;
- M.Sc in Agriculture, Plant breeding, Crop breeding, or related fields with minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing similar or related role in a structured organization.
- The ideal candidate must: Have good communication skill.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive
How To Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th August, 2018.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.