UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA Information Communication Technology Associate, GS-7
Job Number: 515072
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
How can you make a difference?
The incumbent will, under the supervision of the ICT Manager and in close cooperation with all ICT staff in Abuja and in the Field, perform the following functions:
High standards of network operations and services are maintained through continuous infrastructure improvement, performance monitoring and policy compliance:
- Advises appropriate staff members of possible causes of the problem, risks and precautions necessary to avoid additional issues.
- Monitors and ensures application/compliances of IT policies and guidelines, established processes and procedures by all team members.
- Monitors/analyzes staff performance, examines faulty areas in the IT infrastructure, resolves issues, and defines training needs, for improvement in the network operations and services.
- Maintains UNICEF’s Local and Global Network Infrastructure: ranging from hardware installation of network components (including routers, switches, firewalls, bridges, hubs and modems, etc.) to software upgrades and network management tools.
- Determines causes of computer/software/network malfunctions through testing and evaluation, and resolves by additions, modifications, repair, or external support assistance.
Timely and effective support for network changes, enhancements, optimization is provided:
- Prepares system for installation and attachment to LAN/WAN. Installs and tests network infrastructure equipment including switches, routers, and associated cabling.
- Plans network changes and growth based on network security, utilization data, performance data, and the user input.
- Monitors and analyses network statistics, vendor reports and other sources of information for network optimization, utilizing existing Enterprise Management tool sets and the specific utilities.
Network availability, services and security are enhanced and maintained:
- Conducts routine monitoring of the WAN to ensure its continued network services, installs routine updates to the software, performs normal corrections when necessary and alerts the supervisor if special actions must be planned or if threats to the network might exist.
- Enhances network availability and service levels by establishing routine maintenance procedures, heightening security and access rights.
- Coordinates all changes closely with ICT manager.
Timely and effective network audit and redundancy plans are provided for performance optimization and network protection:
- Performs audit of core and critical network components and develops a new baseline benchmark. Optimizes network performance according to benchmark.
- Implements and maintains network redundancy plans.
Updated network descriptions, processes and procedures are well documented to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency:
- Documents/reports network processes, procedures, software, tools and issues. Classifies and maintains the network documentation.
- Provides support in the staff training, development and distribution of instructions and other related materials.
- Develops training plans for the team members to ensure appropriate level of knowledge on the network infrastructure issues.
- Conducts the training/induction process for new staff on internal processes/procedures, network management tools and the IT Operation/Services environment.
- Compiles Frequently Ask Questions and maintains knowledge databases for eventual distribution available to users.
- Prepares and maintains a physical layout of network, including diagrams and network descriptions.
Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed:
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Completion of Secondary education supplemented with formal training at University level in Computer Science, Business Administration, Engineering or related field with training in networking and telecommunication technology. Additional Networking/ telecommunication related industry certification an asset
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use standard office software, tools and technologies.
- Seven years practical work experience in information technology, including systems administration and operations, network computing, systematic methods of trouble shooting and analytical problem solving, providing assistance to users on IT services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools
- Practical experience in Global Network Problem Resolution, Infrastructure Operations, Service Operations, and practice in network operations
- Broad exposure to substantive Windows systems work reflecting major IT developments in such areas as client/server computing and applications, database administration/engineering, operating systems development, internetworking desirable.
- Work experience in emergencies
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 16th August, 2018.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.