Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa’s financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Analyst, Investment Research and Corporate Strategy
Job ID: 35010
Location: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Financial Services
- To provide timely investment advice and recommendations to the Fund Management Functions within the Wealth Businesses.
- A successful execution of the job will involve the availability of quality research recommendations across the various asset classes the Wealth Businesses are invested in. Evidence of quality relationship with key industry stakeholders across the investing landscape. It is expected that an analyst would build a strong network of contacts at the CEO/CFO and Investor Relations levels to ensure access to company information as and when due. The analyst will also generate information and relationships that will aid the collaborative business of the entire Group.
- The analyst will serve as a member of the Investment Strategy Committee of both Stanbic IBTC Asset Management Limited and Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers Limited and provide critical insight towards the investment strategy process of both businesses.
Develop investment themes to drive investment strategy formulation:
- Establish key drivers for the various sectors and a themed outlook to back the investment themes of the fund management functions.
- Develop buy-side recommendation material to aid investment decisions of the investment management functions
- Obtain internal feedback from investment management stakeholders on the following:
- Timing of recommendations
- Quality of investment calls
- Number of interactions with external business stakeholders
- Number of responses to internal client requests
- Number of activities for wider group stakeholders and corporate clients
Write insightful and impactful research regularly and within timed limits:
- Write insightful and impactful research regularly and within timed limits to inspire timely investment decisions by the fund managers. These reports should be focused on the drivers of the investment recommendation, reflect management and industry information as well the impact of news and information on the share valuations of the companies under coverage.
Provide corporate access to link executives of corporations and other decision and opinion managers to in house investment managers:
- Organise internal meetings with executive management of investee companies and companies of interest to provide fund managers with deeper insight into companies following published research.
- Also organise interactive sessions for trustees of funds under management to drive interaction and provide more confidence for the fund management investment decisions
- The above should derive value for other businesses in the group alongside the collaborative drive as it will provide access to corporate management for several business areas.
Work with all client facing units to provide regular but simplified breakdown of the economic information:
- Provide regular breakdown of economic information to client facing units to enable and equip them to provide better service to clients and position them to better engage with clients on news and industry related matters
- Provide training on a needs basis to non client facing units across the business to address industry information
- This is expected to increase our engagement quality and value add to clients of the business and also aid collaborative
Complete and respond to bespoke enquiries:
- To provide an objective source of macro economic data and forecasts for fund management across Wealth and for Finance budgeting purposes
- Provide macro economic backgrounds on well developed Power Point Templates to be further developed for use by Fund managers and all other material required to meet client needs
- To provide directional guidance for alternative asset investment decisions and provide recommendations where required
- Respond to requests for financial information and recommendations from across the business and from external clients (clients of our funds) where such needs arise.
- Email and phone conversations to provide context.
- Provide timely monthly quarterly reports to the EXCO and board through the Corporate Secretariat and responding to bespoke board enquiries on investment research related matters when they arise.
- Organise quarterly investment strategy committee meeting for SIPML and curate minutes of such meetings for the approval of the CEO and ED Investment.
Internal & External Relationships
Finance – Fund Managers, Traders, Analysts, economists, regulators:
- Internal stakeholders include fund managers and sales traders who require inputs to firm up mandates and place buy and sell orders, analysts within and outside the business as well as regulators, senior management of investee companies, industry practitioners
Senior Management and Investor Relations:
- Influence industry norms
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Mathematics, Engineering, Actuarial Science, Economics, Statistics and other related fields.
- MBA or equivalent Master’s degree in finance and other related fields
- Qualified Chartered Accountant;Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or progressing towards obtaining it;Relevant Professional qualifications
- Risk Management – Wholesale Credit Risk Management: 1-2 Years experience. Able to carry out analysis of risk metrics that are in place with the view of supporting the delivery of proposals
- Finance – Investment Management: 3-4 Years experience in investments, portfolio analysis or investment research that directly aligns with the specific responsibilities for this role
- Finance – Research: 7-10 years experience in In-depth knowledge of the relevant industrial sector, financial modelling, advanced and basic Microsoft skills, superb command of English language (verbal and written), strong analytical and presentation skills
- Global Markets – Securities: 5-7 Years experience in familiarity with the capital markets and securities environment. Global exposure with ability to locally deploy. Global skills within the constraints of the local environment
- Global Markets – Sell Side Research: Buy-side analyst preferred but an earlier career as sell side research analyst is also highly beneficial. The role can also lean on other analytical, careers such as accounting or management accounting or actuarial roles.
- Research: The knowledge and understanding required to conduct research on investment opportunities, analyse financial performance trends and produce quantitative and qualitative information to inform investment decisions.
- Economic analysis: Forecasting the impact of macro environmental factors on the potential performance of investments.
- Performance Benchmarking: The ability to select the appropriate index or other benchmark information to use to review investment performance.
- Financial Analysis: An in-depth, experiential understanding of more advanced analyses and the way in which financial ratios, trends, business and value drivers interact
- Company Valuations: Practical understanding of the techniques to calculate the value of companies including discounted cash flows, weighted average cost of capital, corporate valuation multiples and others.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply