INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MHPSS/GBV Specialist
Location: Maiduguri, with frequent mission on the ground Ngala, Bama, Dikwa and Magumeri (LGA), Borno State
Reporting to: (hierarchical) Project Manager; (Technical) Protection Coordinator
Supervision of: Direct supervision of 5 staff (nationals)
Starting date: 15th November, 2018
Contract duration:12 months
General Context of the Project
General context of the project Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Groups [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is proposing to continue provide services through a one-year integrated project that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, protection and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in host communities and IDPs camps in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Bama), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri and Kukawua LGAs, Borno State, Nigeria.
In terms of health sector, INTERSOS intervention is articulated around two pillar:
- Reinforce the Health Systems, through train for health facilities staff including community health workers, nurses, nurse aids, and midwives on integrated management of childhood illnesses but also on screening for common outbreak prone diseases, case investigation and reporting mechanisms. INTERSOS will intervene for rehabilitation of health facilities structures and procurement of equipment for designated health activities as per the Basic Package of Essential Health Services. Mobile clinics will be organized to reach remote Wards of each targeted LGA.
- Improve reproductive health through provision of training and materials on GBV (included case management at heath facilities level), HIV counselling and testing and family planning
For what concern the nutrition sector of intervention, health facilities will be supported to introduce OTP services as part of a comprehensive CMAM program. In addition, INTERSOS will provide furniture; equipment and anthropometric tools according to caseload requirements to the identified health facilities, included mobile clinics ensuring that all identified SAM cases receive the required monitoring and therapeutic care. Both fixed health facilities and mobile clinics will benefit from the RUTF supply
In terms of WASH, the action plan to enhance hygiene promotion and increased knowledge on safe hygiene and sanitation at health facilities level, but also to improve the environment health through the implementation of a solid waste management at health facilities level, introducing the necessary knowledge, materials and infrastructures for it. At community level, clean-up campaigns will be organized and supported through the provision of materials encouraging communities to actively participate to maintain a healthy environment and identify safe locations for waste management.
Finally, concerning protection sector, the focus of the intervention will be on GBV identification, documentation and case management through individual and group PSS activities, while promoting awareness within the community and strengthening stakeholders knowledge and capacity in GBV prevention and response.
General Purpose of the Position
- The MHPSS/GBV Specialist oversees the technical side of protection activities, carries out the project’s framework, ensuring compliance and operational quality
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Contribute to project proposals development for the GBV sector in Borno State, in close coordination with the technical team, protection focal points, under the supervision of the Coordination of INTERSOS Nigeria;
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate programming opportunities inside Borno State;
- Develop, and supervise protection activities implementation in a timely manner
- Ensure adherence to workplans and M&E plans
- Contribute to timely submission of relevant reports to the leading agency as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator (PC), capacity building of INTERSOS in PSS and GBV sector to meet GBV and PSS minimum standards in emergency programs. This includes training and mentoring of INTERSOS staff with technical assistance from the SME advisors.
- Provide technical support, insights for PSS and GBV activities and standards including via tools and methodologies to national and international staff.
- Guides the implementation of PSS programming with a focus on technical aspects and quality assurance through close monitoring, supervision, and training for national staff.
- Provide technical support to GBV cases documentation through GBVIMS forms/system.
- Contribute, under PC guidance, to strengthening INTERSOS Nigeria in the protection sector
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator; Ensure 5W matrices are submitted to the State Clusters per the agreed reporting schedule
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator; Represent the program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors in Borno State and in Abuja;
- Execute managerial duties for national staff direct reports related to their employment life cycle (i.e hiring, training, performance management, coaching, ..)
- Relevant Degree in Psychology, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Gender and/or women’s studies or other related field and/or or equivalent MHPSS/GBV working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous humanitarian experience.
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Knowledge of communication strategies and techniques
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical GBV case management and gender analysis. (including MHPSS PFA, GBVIMS)
- Good knowledge of the international standard on GBV and Protection
- Strong Leadership and inter personal skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills in highly complex emergency operations
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 23rd October, 2018.