The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Production Coordinator, BBC Africa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/31489
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – W2020 – Africa
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Applies specialist skills to productions, eg live gallery skills and script supervision, where appropriate.
- Responsible for preparing (or contributing to the preparation of), managing, setting and monitoring of production budgets, and for forecasting and reporting, where required. May also assess the financial viability of content ideas that may arise during productions.
- Adhere to the processes for fully and accurately capturing and managing metadata in line with BBC guidelines and policies, and ensuring Archives have the necessary information to manage media assets.
- Identifies training needs of less experienced colleagues, ensuring performance management arrangements are in place, where necessary.
- Maintains a safe and healthy working environment at all times, escalating any issues or areas of concern.
- Proactively looks for ways of improving efficiencies within a production environment, promotes diversity and champions the rationale for new ways of working and/or for adopting new production related technologies.
- Supports other internal departments with the implementation of their strategies (e.g. HR, Workplace, Procurement, Finance, etc)
- Responsible for liaising and supporting the Production Manager and Asset Management teams about asset requirements and joiner, mover and leaver activities both in the office and on location.
- Providing administrative support to the production teams, as and when required, depending on team structures.
- Contributing to, and helping to implement, practical actions to reduce environmental impact throughout production
- Contributes to the scheduling and budgeting of the production/content in line with divisional requirements and relevant BBC frameworks, guidelines and policies.
- Responsible for supporting the Production Manager (or equivalent) in identifying and sourcing appropriate resource and location requirements for the production at the earliest possible stage.
- Ensures compliance with BBC policies, guidelines, legislative and regulatory requirements, in order to minimise the BBC’s exposure to risk.
- Responsible for ensuring all necessary rights are acquired and recorded for the complete delivery of the production/content, escalating any issues at the earliest stage.
- Accountable for resolving any operational and financial issues commensurate with the role.
- Ensures the production/content delivers demonstrable value for money through effective and efficient management of people and resources.
Knowledge, Skills, training and Experience
- Able to use and advise on production systems and can adopt new technologies.
- Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective relations with a wide range of contacts.
- Demonstrates strong organisational and planning skills and manages conflicting demands to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use own initiative with confidence, using judgment to escalate where necessary.
- Able to consider and propose new ways of working to improve existing processes
- Experience of influencing and motivating others to achieve results.
- Essential business and finance skills – able to prepare, manage, set and/or monitor specific production resource plans and budgets and buying/booking resources.
- Demonstrates interest in the BBC and the wider industry.
- Demonstrable experience of carrying out a coordinating role within a production team.
- Knowledge of delivering a range of/elements of productions on time and on budget and coordinating deliverables for productions, where necessary having worked on location, with crews and production teams with a strong knowledge of how productions are managed.
- Good working knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with an understanding of the technology used on productions.
- Where required, has the ability to use specialist skills for certain types of output (e.g. live gallery skills, script supervision).
- Post holders at this level have delegated decision-making authority (from the Production Manager or equivalent) regarding the smooth day-to-day running of their production, working within BBC guidelines and frameworks.
- Post holders at this level report to a Production Manager (or equivalent) and are responsible for the coordination of a production and may also take on some level of responsibility in running a production where appropriate.
- They are expected to build and maintain a wide range of internal contacts from across the BBC.
- Typical external relationships will be with resource providers, contributors, artists and their agents, freelancers and public officials (e.g. local authorities).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 18th October, 2018.