Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Location: Biu, Borno
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Programs and other Departments, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to all departments, senior management and HQ to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Assist other finance functions and offices when ever need arises.
- Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
- Assist in orientation and induction of new staff on finance forms, processes, policies and procedures.
- Lead the process of Organizing and Scanning document packages and any other documents as requested by HO and upload on File Exchange if required and ensure files maintenance.
- Assisting SFO in reviewing transactions to ensure smooth, accurate and timely process of MC Biu office payments.
- This position will offer the intern an opportunity to understand what Mercy Corps stands for as well as understand the developmental and humanitarian programs in Borno State. Working in the finance department the Intern will be able to learn how to plan and priorities work schedule in a fast demanding work environment. Part of the job responsibility will be to ensure documentations is properly done in the finance department, ensuring documents are stored in an orderly manner.
- The Intern will work with other team members in the operation department as well as programs and should be able to develop good working relationship with the rest of the team.
- He/She will able to transfer theory knowledge in finance and accounting to practical use.
- Computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Willing to travel rotate to any Mercy Corps Field Offices and Head office whenever need arises.
- Fluent in local languages is mandatory.
- Minimum, Second Class Upper Diploma in Business Studies from a recognized Institution.
- Partial (Level two and above) or full ACCA/CPA/ICAN is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of financial management and accounting.
- Strong analytical skills including attention to details are essential.
- Skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate financial data into informative reports.
- Biu office is a busy office and there are a lot of activities that needs to be completed in the shortest time possible. The intern will be expected to work beyond the normal working hours some days and should be able to cope with pressure of doing every task fast, effectively and efficiently.
- Office space as well as working equipment will be provided. Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Indigene or people located in Biu are encouraged to apply.