Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Referral Nurse
Line Reports: Health Programme Coordinator
Supervisor: Health Programme Coordinator
- Oversee any intervention and/or treatment of patients referred from MdM services.
- Facilitate appropriate discharge and follow up of MdM patients.
- Collection, computerization and analysis of weekly referral data.
- Reporting and attendance to relevant meetings.
- Documentation of treatment received and collection of invoices from the referral sites.
- Under the supervision of the Head Medical Supervisor, Health Programme Coordinator and Medical Coordinator, the Referral Nurse will be responsible for the following main activities to ensure the quality of care of patients referred from MdM clinics:
- Communication with field teams regarding new, existing and past referrals.
- Act as the key link between MdM and designated referral facilities.
- Receive the patient’s from MdM clinics at the place of referral and ensure their timely treatment by relevant services.
- Uphold the principle of confidentiality and actively promote the right of the patient to choose their care.
- Obtain consent from the patient verbal and written where necessary.
- At the end of each day, provide feedback to the medical supervisors or team leader of the field team(s) regarding the referral cases.
- Communicate all patient management with Health Programme Coordinator or Medical Coordinator on a daily basis.
- Report any safety and security concerns to focal person as soon as possible.
- Be available to receive calls from the field team at all times.
- Produce daily and weekly report for the HPCo.
- Create and maintain good working relationships with referral facility staff.
- Liase with patient families or designated guardians as appropriate.
- Adhere to the ‘MdM Lifesaving Referral Criteria’ at all times and seek approval from line manager on any referrals which do not meet criteria.
- Adhere to the terms of the MoU and MdM referral policy.
- Personally receive patients referred from MdM clinics at the designated referral sites.
- Ensure their timely care from referral facility staff.
- Liase with referral facility staff on patient diagnosis, management and discharge plans.
- Provide feedback to MdM clinic supervisors on referral patients.
- Accompany MdM patients to other referral sites where necessary.
- Communicate all patient management with Health Programme Coordinator or Medical Coordinator.
- Help to identify any gaps in referral site resources and notify appropriate persons.
Collection, computerization and analysis of weekly referral data:
- Submit daily report to the HPCo on a daily basis
- Submit end of week report to the HPCo on a weekly basis
- Liase with Monitoring and Evaluation Department regarding referral data collection when required.
Attendance to relevant meetings:
- Actively participate in MdM internal meetings
- Participate to all the trainings organized by MDM
- Participate in all relevant external trainings identified.
Documentation of treatment received and collection of invoices from the referral sites:
- Use the designated forms to document clearly the treatment received by each individual MdM patient.
- Submit invoices to the budget holder on a weekly basis with the accompanying treatment evidence.
- Resolve any discrepancies in the invoice(s) with the referral site focal person.
- Manage a small cash flow for patient and caretaker maintenance costs.
- The employee shall respect Médecins du Monde – France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Engagement for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.
- This job description can be modified according to changes in MDM activities or in the context. It can be amended at any time after mutual consultation, in order to fit the requirements of the programs.
- Give suggestions to improve the functioning of MDM clinics and the referral pathway
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties to ensure that beneficiaries are getting good quality services
- Perform other additional duties on request of the line manager
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- He/she works under the supervision of the Health Programme Coordinator.
Specifications are as follows:
- Knowledge of UMTH, SSH and previous working experience within the hospitals is an asset
- Trained in Maiduguri- an asset
- Ability to work flexibly in order to receive patients out of normal working hours (weekends and until 8pm)
- Strong commitment to humanitarian work
- Nurse/ Clinician/ Midwife with at least 2 years’ experience post qualification.
- Fluent in Hausa, Kanuri and English
- Excellent communication and networking skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Thank you for your interest in our organization, please answer each question clearly and completely.
- By submitting this form, you certify that the statement you made in answer to the foregoing questions are true, complete and correct, please do not send email, just fill this form.
- Kindly note that MDM Nigeria does not ever require nor accept any compensation whatsoever in exchange for recruitment.