The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in child protection, public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Community Mobilization Assistant
Location: MMC/Jere, Borno
Scope of Work
- The WPE Community Mobilizer Assistant will be a focal person in the awareness raising component of IRC WPE programming. This component aims to facilitate a change in attitudes and behaviors that condone and perpetuate Gender-Based Violence: this involves encouraging men and women to reflectively examine gender roles and inequalities in order to support a safer environment for women and girls, and to facilitate gender-inclusive development in the community.
- S/he will work with communities to develop and implement plans to improve the safety and security for all individuals in the community. S/he will collaborate and coordinate with other partners to facilitate an effective multi-sectoral approach to addressing GBV.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
Community Mobilization and Awareness Raising:
- Design and participate in awareness raising activities aimed at promoting changes in attitudes and behaviors regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Identify strategies to promote active community participation in prevention and response interventions designed to address GBV.
- Play a lead role in the formation of community groups for response and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Trainer, Comprehensive Women Center, Case Worker to facilitate Trainings and sensitizations to community groups, local partners and Community Based Organizations on GBV issues.
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance among women in the communities.
- Identify advocacy concerns, Initiate and coordinate advocacy actions
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psychosocial activities at the comprehensive women’s centers.
- Plan and Implement SASA activities in the community
Planning, Collaboration and Coordination:
- In collaboration with WPE Case Worker and Trainer, Women action groups and Youth Groups, identify training needs of community members and carryout trainings in a consistent and appropriate manner.
- Plan and implement safety audit activity
- Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities.
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- In collaboration with Comprehensive Women Center (CWC) Officer, Senior Case Worker and community members conduct safety audits in the camps to identify potential security risks areas and develop strategies to address them.
Reporting and Monitoring:
- Compile and summarize weekly statistics to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Communicate all obstacles/Problems to senior Case Worker and WPE Program Manager for further action.
- Follow-up on psycho-social support activities and ensure that these activities are conducted appropriately and meet the needs of purpose for which they are intended.
- Follow-up on trainings/sensitizations/meetings conducted to ensure implementation of plans
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- Any other duties as needed
- Possess a higher level education in Community Development or a related field
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Must be interested and committed to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English: Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- Security level orange. The situation in MMC/Jere, Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Job Title: Primary Health Care (PHC) Consultant
About the Consultancy Service
- The International Rescue Committee is currently expanding its operations and with the changing dynamics on talent management and work force planning, there is an urgent need to consistently build the capacity of community health workers to equip them with the basic knowledge they need to comfortably execute their roles and responsibilities.
- The consultancy service aims to provide dedicated capacity building on Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) with particular focus on coordination, social mobilization, community engagement and epidemiological surveillance, HMIS training – Depending on training needs.
Duration of the Consultancy Service:
- The time and duration shall be determine in line with respective training needs and objective as shall be articulated by the International Rescue Committee. The trainings will be delivered in Maiduguri.
- The consultant will prepare a training plan including objective, training methodology for the training. This will be reviewed and agreed by the Training Focal Person of IRC or his designate and the consultant.
Profile of Consultant
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in providing capacity building services
- Include references of previous work
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Must have prior experience and adaptive to different cultures
- The terms of payment shall be discussed at the initial stage prior to starting the consultation.
- The payments will be made in form of cheques/or direct bank transfer in the name of the consultant or firm named in the contract.
- IRC will deduct with-holding tax at source as per the rules of taxation governing IRC operations and it will be deposited directly to custodian of such tax.
- No other benefits shall be admissible beyond what is stipulated in the contract, nor does it guarantee a regular position in IRC.
- All the outputs – Reports, data base, etc. produced from this assignment will not be disseminated in part or whole without express authority, in writing from IRC. Thus the consultant shall not produce these materials in any form (electronic, hard copies, etc.) to a third party without a written permission from IRC.
Job Title: Child Protection Manager
Scope of Work
- The Child Protection Program Manager plays a key role within the implementation, developing strategy, partnerships and providing oversight on day to day project implementation in support of the CYPD Coordinator.
- The CYPD Coordinator will directly supervise the CYPD Program Manager.
- The CYPD Program Manager will also be in regular contact with relevant CYPD Technical Advisors.
Key Working Relationships:
- Manage all child protection staff;
- Design and ensure adherence to Individual and collective work plans of staff managed;
- Provide technical support and guidance on individual and team levels on child protection and request support from the technical unit where needed. Monitor and evaluate project activities regularly feedback to implementing staff;
- Ensure collaboration and coordination between CYPD sectors as well as other IRC departments.
- Responsible for supporting writing and implementing grant spending plan along with CYPD Coordinator;
- Responsible for budget management and forecasting for child protection programming;
- Responsible for developing and maintaining strong working relationships with partners and governmental actors;
- Responsible for reports and proposal development with support from the Program Coordinator;
- Contributes to the development of CYPD strategy & fundraising activities with support of the Program Coordinator;
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree in Law, Economics, Social Work or relevant field
- Relevant work experience in the area of child protection and youth & livelihoods of at least four years
- Excellent analytical skills with a good vision to create strategies
- Excellent communication skills
- Managerial experience
- Ability to work in a team and being a leader
- Ability to provide advice and guidance and to plan
- Ability to develop partnerships, networking and coordination
- Calmness and good stress management skills in difficult circumstances
- Experience in facilitating trainings/mentoring
- Fluency in French and Creole (English a plus)
- Experience in working in the humanitarian world.
- English must. Hausa will be an advantage
- The position will be based in Damaturu , Yobe State. The security situation in Yobe is relatively stable with periodic tensions.
- All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Borno.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to the “Human Resources Coordinator, International Rescue Committee” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read:
“WPE Community Mobilization Assistant, MMC/Jere” or “Consultancy service for the Provision of Capacity Building for Emergency Preparedness and response (EPR) and HMIS” or “Child Protection Manager” as the case may be.
Alternatively, Hand delivered Application should be sent to the IRC Office in Maiduguri Field Office.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview
Application Deadline 16th November, 2018.