The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (MM/Mapping of Specialised Technical Agencies)
CFCV No.: CFCV2018/126
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 20 effective working days
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
To conduct a stakeholder mapping and analysis to identify and assess the presence, capacity and needs of relevant specialized agencies (government, private sector and civil society) for providing reintegration services (such as health care, housing, psychosocial support, Employment and Education) to Nigerian returnees, local communities, vulnerable groups (women and children) as well as to enhance and optimize the use of locally-based capacity and opportunities synergies arising among the following principal stakeholder groups:
- Coordination and network mechanisms;
- Sectoral associations.
- Microfinance institutions
- Specialized technical governmental agencies, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the private sector (with mandates such as specialization in agricultural sector, technical and vocational, IT, manufacturing small industries, service sector etc.);
- Reintegration support providers (business development service providers, training institutes, health care providers, education facilities, etc.)
Under the overall supervision of the Programme manager (Migration Management) Lagos and the direct supervision of the senior programme assistant (MM/AVRR), the successful candidate will work under the project, “EUTF-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration: Nigeria” to conduct a stakeholder analysis to map and assess the capacity of specialized government agencies, private sector actors as well as civil society who are able to provide socio-economic reintegration services to migrants, including through technical and vocational training, as well as business skills training for managing and sustaining businesses (especially those that add value to agricultual produce and other raw materials).
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Assess the organization’s need for support to upgrade services essential for reintegration.
- Identify new opportunities for providing and financing sustainable reintegration support, including through credit and microfinancing options and institutions, land allocation and other resources for agricultural produce, education and vocational training opportunities, and other employment and business development services (such as technical advisory, information and counselling, employment subsidy programmes).
- Identify and profile specialized government agencies (national and local), civil society organizations and private institutions who are involved in the delivery of technical and vocational interventions such as agricultural and agro-processing activities (e.g. poultry, fish farming, larger commercial farming etc.), metal and wood working, production of handcrafts, tailoring, food and hospitality, hair and beauty salon, and other related skill requiring activities with potential to be linked to income generating activities.
- Identify coordination mechanisms and networks, sectoral associations, unions etc. which are active in main areas of return, assess their potential to facilitate reintegration processes, define their specific requirements for membership, respective services etc.
- Map geographical presence of stakeholders, including their activities, contact/focal persons, organization profile, and information about services provided and associated costs.
- Assess the organization’s capacity to provide larger scale reintegration support differentiating by services provided, selection requirements and criteria for beneficiaries, staff and monitoring & evaluation capacity (to be further defined in collaboration with IOM).
The following methodological approach is proposed at a minimum, and is to be further refined by the respective consultant in the methodology section:
- Primary information: information collected through Focus Group Discussions and Key informants’ interviews (with representatives from the government; private sector actors, CSOs/NGOs, coordination and network mechanisms, reintegration support providers, sectoral associations, described above) covering Federal and state levels (Lagos, Edo and Delta).
- Secondary information: review of national policies/strategies, publications, including global and/or relevant best practices on socio-economic reintegration approaches.
Tangible and Measurable Output of the work assignment:
- Inception report detailing work plan and methodology (max 4 pages), based on the consultant’s interpretation of the tasks and deliverables suggested in the TOR.
- Draft report.
- A presentation (workshop /seminar) summarizing the findings;
- Final report considering comments and suggestions from presentation, including one soft copy and two hard copies based on IOM’s House Style manual.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- At least five years of professional experience; specific experience with conducting stakeholder mappings, research and analysis, and working with community-based organizations (international, national and local).
- Working experience in developing/ managing programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing workshops, trainings, Focus Group Discussions, conducting interviews at national level and producing recommendations;
- Personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility, together with the ability to work both independently under minimum supervision and with large diverse project teams.
- Proven understanding of the Nigerian business environment and labour market structure.
- Professional experience working with migrants or small to medium sized business in Nigeria is an asset.
- Computer proficiency including with MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Completed Master’s Degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Economics, Business Management, Entrepreneurship, International Development, social sciences or related field.
- Previous experience with stakeholder analysis, social, business and investment analysis, ideally in the migration context.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous;
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line
Application Deadline 28th November, 2018.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2018/126 Lagos. Consultant (MM/Mapping of Specialised Technical Agencies)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).