Nuru International is a social venture committed to ending extreme poverty in remote, rural areas by offering locally-led training in agriculture, household savings, healthcare, and education.
Nuru focuses on cultivating service-minded leaders and equipping people with tools and knowledge to lead their communities out of extreme poverty. Using local income-generating activities, Nuru sustains its work and funds program scaling into neighboring districts – thereby multiplying impact.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Leader
Reports to: CEO
Job type: Full time
Contract Term: 1-2 years
Start Date: Ideally early 2019
- The Team Leader (TL) role is a generalist position in which extensive leadership and management experience in chaotic environments is a must.
- The TL leads the implementation of the Nuru Model on the ground in Nuru’s country projects. He or she is the carrier of the Nuru culture in country.
- The TL is the focus of effort for all support team members on both the Headquarters and International Operations teams and is responsible for everything that happens in Nuru country projects prior to expat exit.
Primary Responsibilities can be summed up as follows:
- Mentor and build the capacity and leadership skills of the Project Director.
- Create and execute the country project strategy in line with larger Nuru International strategic goals.
- Ensure Nuru Impact programs create attributable impact in country projects.
- Manage and take care of both expat and national team members in the country project.
This is a complex position and requires working and collaborating with several decision makers in the organization.
- The TL will collaborate with the COO to ensure high quality support of Field Team (FT) expat members, ensure country project strategy and budget fit within Nuru International’s strategic plan and allocated resources, and ensure that standardized country project business systems (Finance, HR, IT) are created and managed effectively.
- The will work with the Security Coordinator to ensure an effective security and emergency response plan is in place and rehearsed regularly.
- The TL will work closely with the CPO and his team (Impact Programs Director, Leadership Program Director, and M&E Program Director) to ensure effective design of the Nuru Model, iterate on the Model and maintain the integrity of the Model in all country projects.
- Collaborate with all FT members and Project Director, Finance and Admin Head, and Impact Program Manager on the national team.
- The TL will live in the country project in a remote village in an unstable fragile state – living with the rest of the FT in the team compound (spotty electricity with generator support, running water – western toilet and lukewarm shower, spotty internet connectivity, etc.).
- Living conditions can be physically challenging and occasionally uncomfortable (basic transportation, accommodation: communal living). Security of the team will be a challenge and one of your main priorities.
- Fast paced and rapidly evolving environment.
- This role is 100% about people and execution. A successful TL will build strong relationships with their FT, the CPO, and COO.
- They will communicate and collaborate effectively with their teams; build a strong, trusting relationship with the senior national staff – mastering a “leadership through influence” mentality; network effectively with and build strong relationships with local and regional government officials; and effectively prioritize and manage tasks.
Qualification and Experience
- Experience leading military teams in combat situations (Special Operations Forces preferred)
- Experience in project management, ie planning, implementing, and managing multiple, complex projects including administrative tasks.
- Experience in building, training, mentoring, and leading diverse teams to perform under arduous conditions required.
- Entrepreneur experience preferred
- Master’s degree preferred (Business and Administration, Leadership, International Development, International Affairs, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 5 years+ of leadership experience in chaotic, uncertain environments required. Must be capable of leading team through crisis situations in fluctuating security conditions.
Skills & Attributes:
- Very effective verbal/written communications skills
- A strong understanding of the importance of relationship-building and networking to achieve goals.
- Effective at giving and receiving feedback
- Strong commitment to and passion for Nuru’s mission, vision, theory of change, and code of conduct
- Operates effectively in high-stress situations; adapts easily to rapidly changing work environments
- Capable of making important decisions in a timely manner with successful outcomes on limited information
- Strong quantitative and project management skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please apply by uploading your Resume/CV and Cover Letter – detailing how your skills and experience meet the required Experience and Skills and Attributes of the position.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.