Widows and Orphans Empowerment Organisation (WEWE) is a local NGO with its head office in Abuja FCT. WEWE is soliciting for a qualified individual to fill the position of Director of Internal Audit and Compliance in a USAID funded project called ‘Local Partners Initiative for Orphans and Vulnerable Children (LOPIN) Project for Akwa Ibom and Rivers States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
- The candidate must be a certified chartered accountant with over 10 years of experience in a managerial position, must have God’s calling to help widows and orphans, must be an individual with a passion for vulnerable children and one who is ready to join hands with the WEWE family to help WEWE/USAID achieve its project vision ‘To make Akwa Ibom and Rivers States the best places to live in Nigeria.’
- WEWE’s fiscal goal is to be one of the most financially compliant and transparent Nigerian NGO with intrinsic financial integrity and sound/supportive administrative system. Our core Ideology is to prove to the world that not all Nigerian NGOs are ‘fantastically’ corrupt. We want to be an example to the world of a fully trustworthy local NGO that is financially clean and administratively thorough.
- The Director of Internal Audit and Compliance will be responsible for ensuring that WEWE’s financial processes are compliant with International finance and administration’s rules and regulations.
- H/she must be someone who is naturally gifted, outstanding, and talented and has hands on experience with daily internal auditing and/or financial and administrative compliance monitoring.
- Location: The position will be based in Abuja with frequent travels to WEWE State offices in Akwa-Ibom and Rivers states to conduct audit clinics/internal audits and document verification assignments.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Secure adherence to Nigerian rules and regulations as it relates to WEWE LOPIN 2 operational activities.
- Perform monthly review and evaluation of financial records/reports and bank reconciliation statements.
- Ensure WEWE or WEWE LOPIN 2’s assets are safeguarded.
- Ensure inventory records are up-to-date, complete, and accurate (including all key data required by the USAID in 22 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 226.
- Assist the organization in carrying out risk identification and timely reports to the appropriate authority with improvement recommendations.
- Timely investigate all cases of fraudulent practices and missing assets.
- Ensure with-holding Tax is remitted within 21 days of deduction by the organization.
- Ensure PAYE tax is remitted to the relevant tax authority within 10 days in every new month by the organization.
- Ensure monthly remittance of staff pension benefit to the relevant pension managers by the Organization.
- Willing to travel frequently and make local runs for financial verification assignments within all WEWE LOPIN implementing states; Rivers and Akwa-Ibom.
- The Director of Internal Audit and Compliance will contribute to the improvement of WEWE control processes, risk management and governance.
- Carry out pre and post review of all financial expenditures.
- Review sub implementing agencies monthly certified expenditure reports.
- Carry out internal control self-assessment on implementing agencies.
- Ensure compliance with USAID cost principles.
- Ensure full compliance with USAID financial rules and regulations other than cost principles.
- Ensure strict adherence with WEWE internal policies, procedures and practices.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in internal/external auditing or compliance experience in a multinational Organisation or non for profit Organisation.
- Strong background in accounting, internal control and compliance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience with USAID projects is required
- A graduate of Accounting with a minimum of 2nd class upper Division or upper credit
- Must be a Chartered Accountant ICAN or ACCA.
- An advanced degree at the Master’s level or above in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field is required.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive CV and Cover Letter as ONE attachment (MS word document) explaining suitability for the job to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate the title of the post applied for in the subject line of the email.
- Please you are advised to provide your functional emails/mobile phone number on your CV as well as that of your three professional referees preferably ICAN or ACCA members or direct supervisors at your current or former place of work.
- WEWE’s recruitment process for this position will be on a rolling basis, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed in batches on a first come first served basis. WEWE reserves the right to conclude this recruitment process when a suitable candidate is selected.