Christian Aid is a UK-based International Non-Governmental Organisation (INGO) that insists the world can and must be swiftly changed to one where everyone can live a full life, free from poverty and inequality. We have more than 70 years’ experience of working in partnership to address the root causes of poverty through integrated development and humanitarian programming, policy and advocacy work. We use our expertise to deliver innovative and sustainable results in 37 countries, providing urgent, practical and effective assistance where need is great, tackling the effects of poverty as well as its root causes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships Volunteer
Start date: December 2018 (from January 2019 will be considered)
Days: 1-2 days a week for a minimum of 3 months
About the Project
- Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships is a programme being implemented in four focus countries: Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and South Sudan. It aims to change the way international NGOs work in partnership with local and national NGOs in humanitarian action, so that these partnerships support the move towards locally-led humanitarian response or ‘localisation’, and ultimately reach those affected by crises more effectively and efficiently.
- The programme is being guided by national steering committees and existing NGO Forums in each of the focus countries, and managed by a consortium of ActionAid, CAFOD, CARE, Christian Aid, Oxfam and Tearfund who have worked together for a number of years to look at partnerships and localisation in the Missed Opportunities series of reports and research.
- Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships is funded by European Union Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid for 2 years (2017-2019). Christian Aid is the consortium lead. The first phase was to build an evidence base for operational partnership models for humanitarian action through research, the second phase to use the findings and recommendations from the research to test these models and partnership practices in real-time humanitarian action and on-going partnerships.
- This pilot phase will inform national localisation frameworks and a guidance document for all international agencies and humanitarian stakeholders on the practical changes that are needed to build and maintain partnerships which support localisation. More information on the project can be found here.
- The volunteer will also play a fundamental role in the analysis and report writing for findings from a survey of donor organisations and UN agencies due to be launched imminently.
- This is a fantastic opportunity for a volunteer aspiring for a career in the humanitarian/development sector to gain skills and experience within a large international nonprofit organisation.
- Christian Aid is looking for a volunteer for the Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships programme, to provide valuable assistance on this busy and exciting project.
- Through this position the volunteer will gain awareness of humanitarian intervention, project management, and have an insight into the importance of partnership and localisation.
- The volunteer will have the opportunity to play an active role in supporting the programme from Christian Aid in close collaboration with the Programme Manager, taking part in internal as well as wider coordination meetings and gaining valuable experience of working on a flagship international humanitarian project.
- The role includes responsibility for various administrative tasks, managing a database of photos and quotations related to the project, undertaking reviews of communications, and keeping the team upto-date with any developments related to localisation.
The main Duties of the Role will include:
- Taking part in project coordination meetings, possibly taking minutes when needed
- Analysing and reporting on findings from a survey of donor organisations and UN
- Managing the photo library for the project, developing localisation quotations to be shared on social media (using an existing template)
- Preparing updates/blogs about the project for internal Christian Aid audiences
- Other duties as they arise
- Supporting the Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships Programme Manager with admin, communication and data analysis work
- Contributing to the management of the programme’s Facebook Group page, monitoring social media to provide updates on localisation
You will Receive:
- Individual support and supervision from your line manager, including one-to-one sessions
- Appropriate induction and training for your volunteering role.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities, including report writing
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and social media platforms
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a small team
- Familiarity with or interest in the humanitarian sector
- Interest and alignment with the localisation agenda, you can read more here
- Ability to analyse and present data
- Solid organisation skills, good time-management and ability to multitask
- Sympathy with Christian Aid’s values and vision.
This is a volunteer role but reasonable lunch and travel expenses will be covered up to a maximum of £20 per day.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should their CV and a one-page Cover Letter including: why you are interested in this role, when you are available to start, and the number of days per week you are available, to Lizz Harrison, Programme Manager – Accelerating Localisation through Partnerships at: [email protected]
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th December, 2018