Oxfam is committed to ridding the world of poverty. We have a conviction that people are well capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve men and women also in our work. We work together with other Oxfam affiliates to increase our impact on development issues.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: TarabaBaseline Summary
- Oxfam Nigeria is implementing a project titled PROSELL: EU Support to Food Security and Resilience in Taraba State, Nigeria 2018-2022. The project will be implemented in 6 local government areas (LGAs) of Taraba State. The goal of this project is to build resilience of 30,000 small-scale farmers, fishermen and livestock owners (women, youth, and vulnerable households) in commodity value chain and rural enterprise.
- Locations of the exercise: Zing, Takum, Wukari, Kurmi, Donga and Ardo Kola LGAs of Taraba State.
- The baseline study will help to establish the baseline values for the project indicators and build on the evidence base for measuring change at the completion of the project.
Purpose and Objectives of the Baseline Study
- The overall objective of the baseline study is to provide an information base against which to monitor and assess the project’s activities, progress and effectiveness during implementation and after the completion using HEA and other methodologies.
Qualifications of the Consultant/Consulting Team
The baseline study will be undertaken by an external Consultant who will work in close collaboration with the PROSELL Project Manager and Program Quality and Development Manager team. Therefore, we are looking for a Consultant/Consulting Team with the following skills and qualifications:
- The team leader must possess a Postgraduate Degree in Agriculture, Management, Social Sciences or related discipline
- Strong and documented experience in conducting participatory qualitative assessments related to resilience and livelihood projects
- Demonstrated evidence and experience in leading at least three HEA baseline assessments
- At least 7 years experience in conducting HEA assessment for resilience and livelihoods related projects in volatile contexts
- Demonstrated experience leading teams
- Demonstrated experience in designing survey methodology, data collection tools, processing and analysis of data
- Ability to interact with host government, partners and/or others as requested by Oxfam
- Strong organizational, analytical and reporting skills, presentation skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and proficiency in Microsoft Office and qualitative data analysis software/tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English required
Interested and qualified Consultant/Consulting Team should send their request for full terms of reference (ToR) and selection criteria to: Samnan.Jwanle@oxfam.org
Completed Applications, with attachments in PDF, should be sent electronically to: email@example.com with the subject line as: Technical and Financial Proposal for a HEA Baseline Survey “PROSELL: EU Support to Food Security and Resilience in Taraba State, Nigeria”.
Job Title: Project Manager – PROSELL
Contract Type: Full time one year contract (Renewable)
Job Level: C1 national
Reporting: This position reports to the Country Director
- The jobholder will manage Oxfam-EU funded PROSELL Project and lead -on related strategy development.
- The Project Manager will be the main liaison person for PROSELL project activities between Oxfam and The Federal and State Ministries of Agriculture and Rural Development officials, Ministries of Women Affairs and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and private sector and Agricultural Research Institutes involved in the project implementation.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Leadership of Oxfam PROSELL project management at all levels (strategic, tactical and operational) ensuring that the project is driven by primary stakeholder needs and interests
- As a member of the Programme Management Team (PMT) and leader of the PROSELL management team, contribute to overall development of longer-term strategy and management of the Oxfam programme in Nigeria
- Keep up to date with national and regional trends in the area of resilient livelihoods, food security and agricultural value chain development order to fully understand the context within which Oxfam operates (present and future)
- Work with relevant actors to establish yield insurance scheme
- Lead Household Economy Assessment, food security and nutrition assessments, and rapid care analysis in PROSELL areas and coordinate implementation of recommendations.
- Actively represent PROSELL in the quarterly Cadre Harmonise analysis, Regular Cash Working Groups and Food Security Cluster at the national level
- Design social protection/safety net
- Support gathering and sharing of good practice within thematic groups that are integrating disaster risk reduction, social protection/safety nets and sustainable livelihoods approaches to work in areas of chronic poverty and inequality.
- Facilitate learning and contribute to knowledge management across our program, Oxfam International, and with partners and external organisations.
- Provide strategic analysis and direction through high quality advice, analysis of food security trends, and synthesis of learning from external sources and our programs to help the organization make strategic program, policy and campaign choices
- Prepare capacity statements, concept notes and project proposals ensuring they are aimed at achieving resilient income and food security for small holder farmers especially women and youth
- Ensure that proposals developed for specific calls are in line with co-financing targets and priorities of the PROSELL project.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports to be submitted to Oxfam and existing as well as potential donors
Project Management and Implementation:
- Ensure PROSELL project achieves its planned outcomes, and provide an effective framework for project work
- Pro-actively share information within the Nigeria and PROSELL project teams and ensure that team members are coordinating effectively over activity planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Ensure adherence to Oxfam quality standards and integration of best practice in livelihood programme in close liaison with Oxfam technical advisers, finance, MEAL and other support staff
- Ensure that PROSELL management information systems are maintained accurately and up to date
- Ensure delivery of PROSELL project reports and donor reports to quality standards and deadlines
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is gender- sensitive, and promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work.
- Commission and supervise research or analysis to underpin programming and advocacy on rural livelihood and related areas
- Share information within region and to other Oxfam colleagues related to PROSELL and advocacy issues in Nigeria
- Facilitate the implementation of counter fraud, anti-aid diversion and safeguarding recommendations for operational excellence.
- Ensure adequate complaint and response mechanism is in place and functioning
Partnership Management and External Relationships:
- Build and manage relationships and partnerships with producer organisations, NGOs, research institutions, private sector and other key stakeholders in the Agricultural and rural sectors in Nigeria.
- Provide and facilitate technical support, training and information to partners to enable them to effectively use Oxfam resources and best practices in project implementation Represent Oxfam in coordination meetings related to PROSELL and some external relationships with donors and other key stakeholders Ensure regular communication with counterparts and government organisations.
- Line manage Oxfam PROSELL project staff in TARABA State
- Provide and facilitate technical support, training and information to PROSELL project staff and partners to enable them to effectively use Oxfam resources as well as best practices in programme planning and implementation.
- Roll out trainings on Oxfam Code of Conduct for staff and non-Oxfam staff involved in PROSELL implementation.
- Direct responsibility for budget management of up to 2.5- 3 million EUR project per year including significant donor funds.
- Ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that costs are kept within budgets, doing a monthly budget monitoring (BVA), quarterly analysis of trends and timely budget reallocation.
- Develop a supply plan and manage PROSELL procurement in compliance with donor requirements and in relevance with time bound agricultural activities with minimum to zero waiver.
- A Master degree in Agriculture, Agri-economics, Food Security, Climate Change or a related field of study
- 8-10 years field experience in food security, agriculture, and resilient livelihoods, including experience in emergency response and recovery following natural disaster.
- Minimum of 8 years “hands-on” working experience in managing development programmes
- 3 years of managing livelihoods and agricultural projects including ability to integrate private sector, rural financial management and nutrition components especially within an NGO setting in a coordinating capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of the political economy in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating Gender and Diversity issues in market based rural agric sector
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong skills in market based agricultural models and value chain approach from smallholder farmers’ perspective
- Experience in budgeting, budget monitoring and expenditure forecasting.
- High level of strategic and people management skills, able to support and mentor teams in their professional and personal growth and use a variety of strategies and approaches to motivate teams
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English, able to represent Oxfam to donors and external institutions
- Ability to work effectively with others persuading, influencing, negotiating and supporting, following as required in order to achieve targets
- Ability to manage competing tasks
- Strong analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel etc.)
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
Job Title: Governance and Influencing Coordinator
Contract Type: Full time one year
Level: C2 national
Reporting: Position reports to the PROACT Project Manager
- To lead the development and implementation of PROACT project’s advocacy and influencing works in Adamawa and Kebbi States linking with local, state, national, regional and global Oxfarn advocacy and influencing initiatives.
- The Position Holder will also lead in community development planning in all PROACT rural communities using participatory approaches.
- To design and develop PROACT project’s approach to advocacy and influencing work, as part of Oxfam overall strategy.
- To lead the implementation of PROACT Project’s advocacy, influencing and campaigns working in collaboration and with support from relevant units at Oxfam Nigeria Country Office.
- Developing and implementing sound advocacy and influencing strategies targeted at principal policy actors at the State and Local Government levels in Adamawa and Kebbi States towards sustaining the gains of PROACT in the two States.
- To develop PROACT project’s profile with international development advocacy forums working in close collaboration with the Project Team and Oxfam Nigeria Country Office.
- Lead in the design and implementation of campaigns around key moments such as World Food Day, International Women’s Day, Davos, International Youth Day etc to align with Oxfam in Nigeria on-going campaigns.
- To represent PROACT project at relevant pubic events and in the media, including speaking at supporter events after due clarification from the Project Manager.
- To work closely with other Project Staff (Oxfam and Partners) in ensuring that communities are adequately mobilized towards having comprehensive Community Development Plans.
- With supports of the Project Team, engage with Community Leaders, Traditional Institutions and Community-level Project Management Committees to develop plans for each community in line with their developmental stages, identified needs and available resources.
- Lead in the identification and documentation of stories of change and evidences of changes on the ground using case studies and other related approaches, the output of which shall be used for advocacy engagements at all levels in alignment with the project’s theory of change.
- Provide support to other Project Staff (Oxfam and Partners) towards understanding how to implement community development planning strategies and stakeholders’ influencing strategies.
- Work with key government officials at the state and local levels who engage in reforming ways of working in relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies – (MDAs) to design and implement a strategy to achieve and track progress on resilience building of target communities (social protection, early warning systems and National Agricultural Resilience Framework) and participatory budget monitoring
- Identify and develop collaborative relationships with key stakeholders in government, civil society and at the community level, who are working for, or supportive of, change in the area resilience building of target communities (social protection, early warning systems and National Agricultural Resilience Framework) and participatory budget monitoring.
- Map existing networks and complementary or cross-sectoral initiatives to help build a State level network of resilience building and budget monitoring partners and other women’s rights organizations, experts and practitioners focused on common goals.
- To ensure at all times that Oxfam’s Policy on Safeguarding is strictly adhered to and provide supports to colleagues and beneficiaries to report any suspicious act of sexual harassment, inappropriate behaviors and fraud using appropriate communication channels.
- University degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Sociology, Rural Sociology & Extension, Services, Development Communications, Agricultural Policy Administration or other relevant fields, with a minimum of five (5) years cognate experience. OR,
- Post-graduate qualification in Development Studies, Sociology, Rural Sociology & Extension Services, Development Communications, Agricultural Policy Administration or other relevant fields, with a minimum of three (3) years cognate experience.
- Relevant trainings on thematic professional areas will be added advantage.
- Experience of developing and delivering policy and advocacy strategies and influencing policy change targeting different categories of stakeholders.
- Experience of working with high, mid and low level influencers across different socio-economic grouping and geography.
- Experience of advocacy and campaigning targeting diverse stakeholders in a similar position.
- Working with rural communities and facilitation of community development plans using participatory methodologies.
- Experience working with vulnerable rural people, including women and young children.
- Working in difficult terrains with limited access to urban facilities.
- Cultural awareness of the northern Nigeria and/or experience of the socio-cultural and religious issues of the region.
Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrable negotiation, influencing and relationship- building skills.
- Skilled at communicating in a clear, concise and compelling marner to a wide range of audiences.
- Fluency in spoken and written English language. Hausa language proficiency will be an added advantage.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Proven organisational and administrative skills.
- Computer literate in Word, Excel and Outlook, tech savvy and skills in digital campaign
- Proven ability of planning and carrying out training sessions.
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure and prioritise effectively.
- Good team player prepared to contribute to the overall success of the organisation.
- Personality with a ‘can do’ spirit and a great deal of attention to detail.
- Willingness to live in, carry out extensive and frequent travels in northern Nigeria.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letters and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of email.
Application Deadline 26th December, 2018.
- Applications not sent in the required format will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as to the urgency of this position applications will be reviewed received, as such suitable candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed prior to closing date. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.