The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope of Work
- The IRC Nigeria is currently expanding its education portfolio in the northeast of the country in line with its five-year Strategic Action Plan (SAP). A priority outcome for the country program is that girls and boys enroll in and attend safe, functioning, responsive education services. The IRC aims to both rebuild, reequip, and staff damaged school infrastructure and enhance the quality of education through curriculum improvements in formal and non-formal institutions, with a particular focus on social and emotional learning.
- In partnership with Creative Associates, the IRC intends to implement a twenty month project under the Education in Emergencies (EiE) component of DFID’s North-East Nigeria Transition to Development Programme (NENTAD) that aims to deliver an effective response to the basic needs of vulnerable people impacted by the crisis in northeast Nigeria. The EiE project will reach more than 100,000 children and adolescents in Borno and Yobe states with quality formal and non-formal education services, including literacy, numeracy, and social-emotional skills.
- The Education Manager will be responsible for the overall management of DFID EiE education activities in Borno state. S/he will ensure that project activities are delivered on time, contribute to strategic objectives of the program, and meet global and IRC technical standards for education in emergencies.
- The Education Manager will supervise a team of education officers, providing supervision and guidance in line with agreed performance objectives. This position reports to the Education Coordinator with an indirect reporting line to the Senior Consortium Coordinator.
- This position is contingent on funding.
Roles and Responsibilities
Program Development and Management:
- Oversee the implementation of all education activities in Borno state, including formal and non-formal school interventions
- Ensure that the identification, set up and management of formal and non-formal learning opportunities expands access to education for IDP and out-of-school children and is conducted in a responsible manner, adhering to relevant policies and standards, and mitigating risks to harm.
- Keep abreast of the changing operational environment, including organization of assessments and identification of changing beneficiary needs.
- Provide regular written and verbal reports on education activities to supervisor, senior management, project partners and donors.
- In collaboration with the supervisor, review Budget vs. Actual expenditures on a monthly basis, providing relevant feedback to the finance department and adjusting activities as required.
- Enforce stewardship and accountability by ensuring that resources are efficiently and effectively utilized within the project for the intended purpose
- Oversee training, coaching and on-going support of educators and learning facilitators in order to improve instructional practices in literacy, numeracy and social and emotional skills.
- In collaboration with Education Officers, develop actionable workplans to ensure the timely implementation of project activities.
- Monitor progress towards the objectives and intended outputs of projects using routine data, spot checks, observation, and other methodologies.
- Contribute to the development of robust data collection systems to ensure that the education program is data-driven and that programmatic decisions are grounded in evidence.
- Under the guidance of the Education Coordinator, provide technical supervision and guidance to Education Officers and implementing partners as required.
- With the support of the Education Coordinator, ensure that all education activities adhere to agreed technical standards, protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the IRC, the Federal Ministry of Education and related State Ministries, Agencies and Departments.
- Coordinate with the M&E team on the development of monitoring tools and collection of quality data and provide guidance to improve data systems.
HR & Team Management:
- Provide supportive supervision to Education Officers
- Lead the development of performance plans for all Education Officers based on job descriptions, project objectives/work plans and past performance reviews. Review performance evaluation of direct reports on a bi-annual basis and oversee the performance review cycle for all direct reports.
- Actively build the capacity of education program staff, ensuring each staff member has a specific capacity development plan, receives opportunities for training, mentoring and on-the-job learning opportunities.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders including government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Closely collaborate with all project partners
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, and local partners as required.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Education Coordinator. Indirect reporting line to Senior Consortium Coordinator.
- Position directly supervises: Education Officers
- Other internal and/or external contacts: grants unit; finance, M&E HR and supply chain departments
- University degree in Education; advanced degree preferred.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience with an international or civil society organization, including direct implementation of education programming
- Strong verbal communication skills and effective in representation and liaison with external actors
- Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing
- Excellent computer skills in programs including MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook
- Ability to work under pressure in challenging working and living conditions
- Willingness to travel extensively in northeast Nigeria, including to remote and/or insecure locations
- At least one year of experience in a managerial position and demonstrated capacity in team leadership and capacity building
- Experience working with displaced or otherwise marginalized communities required
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including financial, HR, and grants management
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel throughout project areas in the northeast, including to remote and insecure locations.
- The situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a non-accompanied position
- Competitive Monthly salary
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 12 Months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis and only qualified Candidates will be contacted
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability
Application Deadline 6th February, 2019.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!