The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Baseline Assessment Consultant
Job ID: 13-10476
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Group/Office: TEG (Technical Excellence Group)
Dept/Unit: TEGGEN – Technical Excellence Group
Project/Program: A576 – PMI – S
Reports To: Senior Principal Technical Advisor M&E
- The objective of the consultant is to conduct a baseline capacity assessment of the National Malaria Elimination Program in malaria program implementation in Nigeria at the federal and state levels. The consultant is to provide technical assistance and leadership in the design, planning and implementation of the baseline assessment. The baseline capacity assessment is meant to provide an information base against which to monitor and assess the progress and effectiveness during and after implementation of the planned activities. Mainly, the baseline assessment is to help the project team understand the capacity gaps and identify the essential areas that need to be supported by the project at the federal and state levels, that when addressed could lead to the desired outcomes.
- The consultant will be expected to work closely with the management and team members of the National Malaria Elimination Programme and that of the Department of Health Planning Research and Statistics of the Federal Ministry of Health to conduct the assessment.
- The baseline assessment will focus on reviewing the capacity of the federal agencies and by extension the states in delivering quality malaria services according to the national guideline.
- The assessment will strive to identify gaps in policy planning and development and application, coordination and collaboration, malaria testing and treatment, prevention of malaria in pregnancy, treatment of malaria, pneumonia and diarrhea through integrated community case management (iCCM) approach and surveillance monitoring and evaluation.
- Specifically, the assessment will concentrate on human resource and staff capacity in the different areas of malaria programming, availability of and compliance with malaria policy documents and guidelines, performance of key national malaria indicators, coordination and collaboration within and across partners, data quality, analysis and use, and learning, among others.
- The consultant is for a period of 15 working days with an expected start of date of 4th February 2019.
- Provide technical leadership for the planning and implementation of the baseline assessment.
- Lead the planning and implementation of a baseline assessment of capacity for malaria programming in Nigeria;
- Together with the PMI-S project team, review the protocol and data collection instruments developed for the baseline assessment;
- In conjunction with the project team, work with other relevant USAID implementing partners to gather information on malaria program implementation;
- Collate both qualitative and qualitative data and information generated from the assessment, analyze, interpret and write the report of the assessment.
- Develop the report of the baseline assessment and submit to the PMI-S Project Director and the SM&E team for review and approval
- Work with the project team to conduct data collection at NMEP and DHPRS through interviews and documents review.
- Collate, analyze and interpret the data and information collected after each set of completed interviews;
- Review and analyze quantitative data on the progress of key malaria indicators from the DHIS2 and survey reports such as the DHS and NMIS
- Perform any other task that may be deemed necessary for the successful conduct of the baseline assessment
Qualifications and Experience
- A Medical Degree and/or a Postgraduate Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Statistics, or related field with focus on research, monitoring and evaluation and/or Biostatistics
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in malaria programs in Nigeria
- Familiarity with and understanding of USAID procedures and processes
- Experience working with and understanding of government ministries, departments and agencies, particularly at the national level
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in public health programming, especially in malaria
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in program management, with a good understanding of monitoring and evaluation systems.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated evidence of good analytical, presentation and reporting writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal, multicultural and team building skills
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening organizational capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English
- Excellent organizational skills – detail oriented and accurate.
- Proven experience in strategic approaches for program management, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Comfortable working in teams as well as acting independently in the implementation of specific tasks, multitasking and prioritizing, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, DHIS2, and statistical applications (SPSS, STATA, Epi-Info)
- Demonstrated evidence of skills in quantitative and qualitative research
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiating skills, and the ability to cope with situations which may pose conflict.
- Supervision: Works independently and reports to the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
- Decision Making: Working within project strategy and policy guidelines, makes decisions with regards to work responsibilities and is accountable for them
- Responsibility over data or information: Has access to information within project, and is responsible for program data generation and management
- Responsibility over assets: Overall responsibility assigned assets in the program.
- Ability to work independently.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 24th January, 2019.