Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Mass Literacy Training (For companies registered in Nigeria only)
Consultancy Period: From 1st March to 30th March, 2019.
AVR implements its peacebuilding and conflict transformation programmes through well adapted and applied thematic, context-sensitive and rights-based approaches. The programme tactically maps and engages people with spheres of influence in their communities, who in turn, actively promote inclusive and acceptable social, cultural and religious re-orientation processes to gradually transform the nature and responses to armed and violent conflicts, especially among youths who are likely to be vulnerable to criminality and radicalisation.
AVR programming cuts across four thematic areas: Youth Engagement, Security Sector Reform, Conflict Management Education and Community Safety Plan. Since 2017, DRC/DDG has been working on the Project titled “Promoting Stability in Nigeria’s Northeast.
Community Safety Plan (CSP)
The community safety plan is one of the safety/security – related thematic implemented by the Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) Programme team of the DRC-DDG.
The AVR Programme team partner with several communities and strategically identify people (Duty and right bearers) whose sphere of influence can affect positive transformation to strengthen communal peace and stability. Thus AVR Programming ensures that the CSP-Planning is a community-owned process where duty and right bearers work together to identify behavioral and non-behavioral agents that threatens their peace, security and stability. Also identifying viable solutions alongside the resources required to implement the identified solutions.
In view of the above, one of the action point identified to create viable solutions in these communities is to eradicate illiteracy and the community members becoming literate. Mass literacy is, therefore, a key component in the CSP Implementation across these various communities listed below in Borno State:
- Gonidamgari MMC
- Jakana KONDUGA
- Auno KONDUGA
- 7-UP MMC
- Benisheikh KAGA
- Zabarmari JERE.
The Responsibilities of the Consultant includes but not limited to the following:
- Making literate all those who for one reason or the other did not or cannot benefit from the formal school system. These include out-of-school youths, children in the street, women in purdah, victims of teenage motherhood (VVF), Nomadic illiterate people, Almajiris and other migrant fishing folks. The beneficiaries should be able to use the literacy skill acquired in their daily socio-economic activities.
- Developing and disseminating learning materials aimed at promoting literacy level among the target groups.
- Mobilizing and conducting advocacy to encourage participation in the scheme.
- Prescribing the strategies and method to be adopted to ensure desired results.
- Designing and formulating strategies and programmes for the implementation of MASS LITERACY in line with the SDGs goals.
Management and Reporting:
- DDG Nigeria will establish a Consultancy Steering Committee to oversee, support, and provide ongoing feedback to the consultancy team.
It is proposed that the Consultancy Steering Committee be made up of the following:
- DDG Nigeria Head of Programme;
- AVR Nigeria Deputy Manager
- AVR Supervisor(s)
- AVR Nigeria Programme Manager
DDG Nigeria will support the consultancy through the following:
- Compilation of background documentation and relevant data
- Weekly meetings with the Consultancy Manager and/or Consultancy Steering Committee;
- Rapid review and commenting on outputs and deliverables.
- Providing the Consultant with the Communities Monograme.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent in Education/Development Studies, Social Sciences, or other fields related to mass literacy
- At least 10 years of relevant experience and proven expertise in the humanitarian sector with significant experience in monitoring, data analysis, research and/or evaluation
- Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills
- Demonstrated experience conducting assessments, data collection and analysis in volatile, hostile or insecure environments.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Knowledge of the current literature/practice on displacement-related emergency response. Familiarity with DRC and/or Nigeria emergency response
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a request for the complete “Terms of Reference (TOR)” and its annexes to: [email protected] (Please do not submit your offer to this address mail)
Candidates are to submit their Proposals via mail to: [email protected] with the following documents below:
- A one-page application letter addressing:
- The Consultant/Consultancy Team’s previous experience and relevance to the proposed assignment.
- The names, expertise, years of experience and relevance of team members in undertaking this assignment.
- A comprehensive proposal demonstrating firm understanding of the Terms of Reference, with a breakdown into assessment areas showing how each assessment sector is going to be undertaken.
- Updated CV for all Consultants including relevant work, number of days required, specific roles, experience and qualifications.
- Detailed and comprehensive budget covering all assessment costs, including consultancy fees and other fees (filled in the DRC request for Quotation template)
- Contact details for three references.
- Proof of formal registration in line with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), and other Nigeria Government Regulations.
- If you have questions or are facing problems with the application process, please send a mail to: [email protected] (do not submit your offer to this address mail)
- For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
Application Deadline 21st February, 2019.