Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Abakaliki – Ebonyi/Maiduguri – Borno. This position has a home base in either location, with MSF-sponsored travel to the second location
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carrying out assessments and ensuring the implementation, maintenance and monitoring of the mission’s geographical information systems and producing in real time, a spatial analysis of the situation in the field, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- Defining procedures and ensuring the implementation, monitoring, maintenance and correct functioning of the mission’s geographical information system. Liaising directly with the staff to identify GIS needs and developing appropriate GIS products
- Carrying out assessment and feasibility studies in the project to provide line managers with alternatives and possible solutions to challenges concerning GIS
- Acting as a technical referent, providing technical advice and oversight of quality and strengthening knowledge of the team. Managing training and skills development support to staff with simple mapping, Google Earth, use of GPS
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Produce and regularly update maps (base maps, epidemiology, activity, security, logistics incidents).
- Maintain and expand the data repository and related metadata; identify, gather and incorporate external datasets into the MSF repository
- Participate in GIS related activities such as Mapathon’s events and GIS meetings
- The GIS Specialist performs all activities for two MSF-Belgium projects in Nigeria (Abakaliki & Maiduguri) related to spatial data management and the production of different maps and spatial analyses. Under the line management of the projects’ field coordinators he/she works in collaboration with all kind of coordinators, activity managers, epidemiologists, the MSF GIS Unit, and MSF partners. Contributes to development of handover plans to ensure MSF activities are assumed by partners over the life of the project
- Manage all the GIS projects and activities for the projects (areas of focus: Lassa fever, Nutrition, reproductive health)
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Work experience with MSF, other NGOs and in developing countries desirable
- Desirable: two years previous experience in similar jobs in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs.
- Languages English essential (high level command oral and written), Igbo and kanuri languages desirable
- Knowledge Demonstrable technical skills and understanding
- Education: University Degree in Geographical Information System or related field
- Experience Essential experience in managing data collection, entry and maintenance and in managing or developing databases.
- Strong practical experience in using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Pedagogical skills is a strong asset
- At least 2 years’ experience in specialist area
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application (Soft Copy) including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Degrees, Certificates and NYSC Certificate/Exemption to: [email protected]
In Hard Copy to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Plot D33 Libration Estate (after the Enugu/Abakaliki express),
Abakaliki, Ebonyi State.
Application Deadline 28th February, 2019.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview;
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!